Find
Notify
Tools

Puma White Hunter???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
What is the story on these knives? They seem to be pretty popular but I do not know which is the more desirable configuration as there seem to be a lot of variations. What is the real scoop?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post

There have been several grip options over the years but the blade remains the same.

I've owned one for 25 years. I find it to have one of the finest blade steels I've own (along with my camillus s30v folder). I've killed three hogs with it. While admittedly, it is not the best design for that task. I have the back blade as sharp as the main blade giving me two cutting edges. It usually stays in camp as it's isn't really practical to carry. I've also split kinding and open a can of beans on a cold & wet elk bivy hunt. Most times I carry a puma silver lion in the field but, my trusted White Hunter is in camp or in the truck, there "just in case".

It's one of the classics that gives you a feel for the hunt, from a less complecated time, not unlike fine double rifle.

As I understand. the blade was designed as working/survival knife for PH in Africa, hence the name.

If I had to choose on one knife to have for the rest of my hunting days, this would be the one.

If you can't smell his breath, your're not close enough!

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
I have been interested in this knife for some time, have a Puma hunters companion and it is a great knife for processing deer. Hoping jefferydenmark will way in always has great pictures and great knowledge about knives or perhaps jaun pozzi who also has great input.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Yes, hopefully Andre will chime in as there seem to be a lot of different variations in steel, designation, handle material, and so forth over time.

Boss Kongoni -- is your marked "Pumasteel" or is it some other material?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Puma White hunter Cool Big Grin Mad CRYBABY

Mixed feelings Confused

A great blade design
Old school steel
Small handle

I had a Puma white hunter and thought that the handle was to small for my hands, I have normal size hands, I then had a friend make me a new handle and it was not to my liking.
There is a new Puma white hunter out on the marked, I think that is made in Spain, that has a stacked leather handle like a SOG bowie. That model looks like it has a grip that would work better then the original one.
This is the picture of my modified White hunter.

The White hunter is a evergreen and has lots of history to back it up as a African hunters knife. I think some of the selous scouts used white hunters. Alf would know this.

Link to the White hunter with stacked leather handle:
These knives does not look to be the same quality then the German made Pumas.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6610...0&fromMakeTrack=true

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks -- I was looking at the old "Pumasteel" ones -- is that the ticket? Maybe I should just buy a few knives a month. I have two coming from eBay now (a couple of Kershaws -- it's a personal thing) and am watching some Cold Steel auctions closely...

Edited -- is that a whetstone in the pictures?

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:

Boss Kongoni -- is your marked "Pumasteel" or is it some other material?

Charles - Mine has a bit of "history" behind it. It has 6377 over Puma White Hunter over "- ----steel W. Germany. I had it polished by a knifesmith a few years ago and some of the logo stamping is gone. Mine has the stag grip scales one is wider than the other. I have larger hands (I can easily grip my 1911)and mine holds very well.

Of course I'm biased as I've had mine for so long. Wink

If looking for an older one on ebay, look for the stag scales and brass pins. They show up from time to time.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boss Kongoni!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles

Yes it is a stone

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Charles

Yes it is a stone

Cheers,

André

It is a very nice looking set up!

Just for fun I looked at the Randalls on eBay -- just window shopping for sure. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes
The Randalls are very expensive knives. Collectors push up the prices. Damand is bigger then the supply. waiting list at Randall is 54 months. Big Grin Mad

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Well if I paid for it over 54 months maybe I could afford it.

The Cold Steel kukri I am watching on eBay (I bid earlier) is already over $150 with several hours to go! Mad

I saw that you have some Lile knives. I was in a sporting goods store the other day and saw that they are selling knives made in China with his name on them. I told the salesperson that seemed odd to me but he did not get it. He said he was the gun guy not the knife guy. Eeker I may actually get one for my daughter as it was a decent blade shape with sheath and olive wood handle for ~$30 and she needs to learn skinning and cleaning -- but it was not what you think of for a Lile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles

The knife you are looking at are not made by James B. Lile Wink aka Jimmy Lile.
Mr. Lile passed away in 1991, RIP, and his knives have become very collectable. I have some i my private stash Big Grin

Want pictures?

PS Regarding a knife to your girl, get a knife withna guard that is more safe. half guard is cool like on the Cold steel master hunter, it is a $40-50 knife. Sheath is not great but the knife is American made if you get the carbon V one. I have one of those to Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Charles

The knife you are looking at are not made by James B. Lile Wink aka Jimmy Lile.
Mr. Lile passed away in 1991, RIP, and his knives have become very collectable. I have some i my private stash Big Grin

I knew they were mass produced -- I was just surprised that they used his name on them! Kind of like getting a $30 "Randall" at Wal-Mart. Mad

quote:
Want pictures?

Of course! I think I saw some of them in old posts, but I would like to see them again if it is convenient.

quote:
PS Regarding a knife to your girl, get a knife withna guard that is more safe. half guard is cool like on the Cold steel master hunter, it is a $40-50 knife. Sheath is not great but the knife is American made if you get the carbon V one. I have one of those to Big Grin?

I think the Master Hunter may be too big for her as she has small hands, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks again for the info -- now I need to find a stone like the one in your pictures -- if I can just get my study cleaned out and have a place for everything. Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Update: I ended up winning the Kukri for slightly more than I had hoped, so it should be on its way to me soon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not bad baja
You will be pleased wity that monster.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Now I just need an eBay break for a while!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ja about 2 days and 4 hours when the Trailmaster comes up for closing bids Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ja about 2 days and 4 hours when the Trailmaster comes up for closing bids Big Grin

Cheers,

André

rotflmo rotflmo But it's the last one I need... animal

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheers,

André

No bueno. Someone else wanted it pretty bad, and it is hard to up your bid on a cell phone while at a children's soccer game. Mad

one of us
posted Hide Post
There will be more Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
There will be more Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Yes, there is another one now from an Australian seller. I got a shipping quote from him last night. Big Grin But the last one was in new condition. No problem. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should go for e unused one. There are plenty around. I can get you one Wink for less then what the last one sold for.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You should go for e unused one. There are plenty around. I can get you one Wink for less then what the last one sold for.

Cheers,

André

I'll keep looking unless you can point me in the right direction! Big Grin Unless the used one goes cheap but he is starting at US$100.

You never did tell me about that sharpening stone you have -- I need to find some place to get one of those -- just because it looks cool!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what sort of stone or brand it is Confused The stone is about grit 600-700.
I bought it in a danish knife store and it was the last one.
I also use a spiderco medium stone to re-finish the edge on knives used for heavy field tasks.

Get one of the Arkensas stones from this seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/J-P-Arkansas-Stones

You will need a large 8 or 10 inch stone to get a perfect edge on the large knives like the Trailmaster and the Kukri.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know what sort of stone or brand it is Confused The stone is about grit 600-700.
I bought it in a danish knife store and it was the last one.
I also use a spiderco medium stone to re-finish the edge on knives used for heavy field tasks.

Get one of the Arkensas stones from this seller:
http://stores.ebay.com/J-P-Arkansas-Stones

You will need a large 8 or 10 inch stone to get a perfect edge on the large knives like the Trailmaster and the Kukri.

Cheers,

André

Too bad -- that is a pretty neat stone. It makes all of the others look bland. I have couple of large stones now, all the real use I got out of a Razor's Edge sharpening kit. I also use ceramics like the Spiderco Tri-Angle Sharpener or plain crock sticks. In the field I have an old DMT diamond rod -- not the pointed one they sell now -- that will touch up a blade pretty fast.

I have seen LARGE ceramic rods suggested for curved blades like the Kukri, but if you can sharpen them on a stone I can give it a try. I am going to try to clear out my study and put in a dedicated work table for things like sharpening knives -- then I see several more stones in my future.

And seriously, if you know where I can get a new old-style Trailmaster feel free to post, PM, or email the info -- or I can just Paypal you the funds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's one of those "damascus" stones !! My favorite sharpener is a Eze-Lap diamond sharpener ,it works on everything !

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Check it out:

http://www.pumaonly.com/pages/6375-1.htm

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
Check it out:

Did you already buy yours???

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Check it out:

Did you already buy yours???

No, I'm waiting for the price to go up. For Christmas my wife gave me a White Hunter II but it's just not the same quality nor in fact the same knife. On a web search a couple of months ago I saw a great version of the White Hunter with wooden grips being sold in the UK but now I can't find it. If I ever find the right one I may have to part with the money. For now I keep finding convenient excuses.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have put it on my wish list, but the old "Pumaster Steel" version only. For some reason I can convince myself to pay more for a custom knife than a collectible older one. I will try to get one before the end of the year, unless my short attention span causes me to spend all my money on something else!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
OK, I found that White Hunter being sold in the UK on the link below. Not a wooden handle but stacked leather. It's a little different; what do you think of it?

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/puma/pu806.html

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Is that the new "Made in Spain" model? Like this one on eBay?

Personally I will try to get one of the original type, although the one you linked looks nice. I suppose it is more of a nostalgia thing than a practical reason.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think I would like a traditional one as well, stag handle, hand made in Germany, the right steel. I certainly won't buy it in the UK. Those poor people have the highest prices in the world for anything related to hunting or the outdoors. I have asked the Brits at the site to confirm the country of origin.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
One of the original ones (stag handles, Pumaster steel) just went for $177.50 on eBay. I am chasing some other items right now but will likely try later this year.

No doubt there are risks buying on eBay but sometimes you can get a better deal that with a dealer. Of course, some people pay over retail on eBay -- go figure.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between a model 6377 and a model 6375?

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the difference between a model 6377 and a model 6375?

From the list at Puma Only it looks like the 6375 is stainless and the 6377 "Pumaster." Caveat -- I am no expert on these knives.

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
I just looked at E-Bay there is an old WH(used & abused) that would make a good working knife if cleaned up & sharpened.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Puma-White-Hunter-Mod-6377Ser-86581...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is also a "collector" "new" condition made in 1973.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PUMA-Knife-WHITE-HUNTER-6377-Stag-H...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck.

BTW - There is a lot of steel on the old Pumas, I'm sure you could clean up the used one.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I was hoping no one else would notice! Darn.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was hoping no one else would notice! Darn.

clap rotflmo

Yes, I saw that one yesterday. Makes you think back to the boneheaded things you did as a teenager. Roll Eyes