one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
What is knife fighting ?

Knife vs. knife
Knife vs. man
Man vs. knife

It can be all of the above.
There are many styles of different origin.
Basically you would need to have some Martial art experience or other fighting back ground Fast reflexes and know how to move economically, foot work is very important.
Any knife can be used to fight but some knives are a compromise of the different functions the knife must be able fulfill.
Some knives have to be small and carried every day as back up Microtech knives are good for that.
Some knives have to be used by Police they have to be for both protection and work like cutting rope etc.
Military knives have to be very all round but most for heavy duty work and not fighting. a military fighting knife have to be able to penetrate lots of cloth ect. a dagger like the Mark 1 from Gerber you mentioned is ideal for just that.
Knife fighting is not two people dancing around like in the movie "under siege" with Steven Seagal.
If two people are fighting with knives, and one is not superior, the one is sure to die and the other will be deadly wounded.
But most of the time , on the street, there is only one knife and we all know how that story goes.

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all I'm no Martial arts expert. I've got years more of study to go. Different knife fighting styles recommend different styles of knifes. Check out Michael Echanis classic on knife fighting and you'll get a different view than the "fencing style" of knife fighting. Look at the new Karambit knives - I'd like to see this style demonstrated, look at the Apache style of knife fighting. The movie "The Hunted" actually with a little accuracy depicts one style of knife fighting. Lots of different styles with different knife types.
In short the knife you choose is dictated by the style of fighting you are trained in..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i prefer strong drop poitns or tanto points for combat but the reality is that in the army the knife its a tool so in the hunting fields then a weapon so i stronlgly recomends drop poitns the sf knife by criss reeve its ideal .juan

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
juanpozzi - that's what I was thinking about the Ka-Bar. It is as much of a heavy duty tool as an actual fighting knife.

I'm in the same corner with Leanwolf on knife fights - I would prefer my "fighting knife" to have S&W engraved on it.

Legally, one might as well carry a gun as a knife. In the event something unfortunate did happen, the courts see both as equally deadly weapons.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Quote:

Now � how does one go about actual knife fighting? I once spoke at length to a black guy who, as a kid, used to hang out at honky tonks in and around New Orleans and witnessed many an actual knife fight. He said that contrary to the image of trying for one quick killing blow, the combatants would slice at each other�s hands and try to make the other fellow drop his knife. Apparently the unarmed droppee would usually make a "tactical retreat", i.e. run away before any major mayhem could continue. If a major cut was made it was usually to the upper arm or face. Very few people took the time or danger to actually stab the opponent, leaving one's knife stuck in their body for even a second, leaving the opponent a split second to stab them back

That is pretty much the way I remember it. Only an idiot or a novice thrusts, you ALWAYS slash. It is VERY easy to side step a thrust, and well I will let your imagine fill in those blanks. Also, it is better to get a hand or arm sliced than your stomach (you really don't want to have to try and hold your guts in while fending off an attacker). Finally, if you think you are going to get over-powered (meaning you are going to loose unless drastic measures are taken) it is best for YOU to plant his steel in some part of your body you think you can live with. This will "tie his blade up" long enough that you can slice his, well I will let your imagination fill in those details.

Of course the other common situation, your black friend did not mention, is when a second accomplice/assailant stabbing one of the combatants (the one his friend is fighting) in the back. Always remember, when in a face to face knife fight it is always better to have a friend get the guy from the back while you are keeping his attention fixed on you. Also remember "Alls fair in love and war" and knife fighting is a war. The last rule; 'the last one breathing is the winner".

Knife fighting ain't pretty and it MOST CERTAINLY ain't fun! I pray you never have to find out first hand what a knife fight is REALLY like, believe me it is better to read about it.

I have to agree with Andre about the movies, they are typically VERY unrealistic (they try and make it look pretty and cool and fun and WOW, it AIN'T).

By the way, I will take a lead weighted Louisville Slugger over a knife any day.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Fairbairn-Sykes dagger, had a basic flaw: the tip was very easily broken off. I've seen several original issue F-S knives and all had their tips broken. Even so, they were beautiful knives. Today, an original F-S knife with point intact, brings high bucks on the collector circuit.

That is the reason that Applegate later designed his "fighting" knife with a more substantial point, and slightly thicker, wider double edged blade.

Same with the famous Gerber Mark II. I have a good friend who was a Navy SEAL in Vietnam, who carried one on every mission. It was specifically for "fighting" if he should need it. I know that once, he did. Other than that, he said a KaBar would do everything he needed done. He still has both those knives. He carries the KaBar when he goes up into the boonies... along with his Colt's Govt. Model .45 ACP.

The only "knife fighting" training I've had was many years ago in the Army, while going through "hand-to-hand" combat training. I figure I learned just about enough to get me killed.

I'll stick with my Colt's Lightweight Commander and nine rounds of .45ACP, for self defense.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote