Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I took these the other day.

Not great, but ok.

New camera.

Doziers

Cold Steel Finn Bear Puukko (cheapy), I give these to lots of people. I used to be able to buy ten of them for $100 shipped. I can't figure out how to do that anymore. Best cheap knife Cold Steel makes. I think they are $15 now.

Family photo of my custom or semi-custom knives.

I actually made the top knife, it is mule deer, with a pronghorn spacer. I put the handles on anyway. Jantz blade, kind of in the Nessmuk style.

2nd one down is a Anza knife file Boddington knife. It stays sharp.

3rd is a Paki special from ebay. Sharp as can be.

Of course and the three Doziers.

Big knives.

Muela is kind of junk, you would think it would cut. It doesn't.

Big square guy is hell on boxes, must be made out of something interesting. It stays sharp.

Bark River is new. I have not used it yet.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheapo good cutters:

This Mora on the far right is a fairly common woodcraft knife. They are about $40. This one has been all over the world, I used to carry it on my tac-rig when I was on active duty in Afghanistan. Opened a lot of MREs with that one. Personally if a guy is on a budget, it is a great knife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Nessmuk type or skinner type knives.

I don't think any of these would qualify as true Nessmuks, but they are in that family.

Bottom left two are both Paki knives I paid $12-30 for. They cut.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This CRKT on tops is my favorite knife.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You guys have issues

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Knife nerds unite!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you for this post B-W-W. I went searching for a Cold Steel finnbear for a cheapie knife to throw in the pack and ordered one today.

If you need to get 10 for $100 now is the time, haven't seen them at this price in a few weeks.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...polymer-handle-black

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some users from Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works. I think the smallest is 1095, but the others are 5160.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow those are awesome!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another MMHW. The blade length is the same as the bottom two above (all three are within 1/2"), but a totally different design.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Thank you for this post B-W-W. I went searching for a Cold Steel finnbear for a cheapie knife to throw in the pack and ordered one today.

If you need to get 10 for $100 now is the time, haven't seen them at this price in a few weeks.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...polymer-handle-black

I ordered 3 from Midway based on this thread. Received them. It is fairly rare to have a knife come not very sharp, but, at least the one I opened did, but a few licks on a Sharpmaker got it fairly sharp. Gave it to wife for kitchen garder use. Certainly worth $10. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Gato- This site makes it very easy to spend $$$ Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

From left to right, top to bottom:

(L) Mcusta VG-10 Damascus (1 wood, 3 steel)
(C) Two Tuna Valley 154cm
(C) SOG Tomcat VG-10
(C) Two G Sakai probably 440C
(R) Spyerco Endura VG-10
(R) Spyderco Para 2 s110v
(R) Spyerco s30v
(R) Seki-cut VG-10 Damascus

Anyway, a few more toys.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post

The addiction continues ...

Right to left, top to bottom:
(r) Fallkniven VG-10
(r) Spyderco Mule x2 s35vn and m390
(r) G Sakai x2 440c and ats-34
(r) Mora 12c27
(c) Bark River x5 all A2
(l) Mcusta VG-10
(l) Buck BG-42

analog_peninsula
-----------------------