Find
Notify
Tools

Another gerber
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
General Dynamic. What does the "5" mean. A buddy thinks the 5 continents, or the Santini bros. (;-)

Cleaned it up a bit.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model No?

Length in inches?

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I'd guess this was a gift commemorating 5 years working as some upper level mucky muck.

Maybe you could contact Gerber and they might have a record of it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I e.mailed GD. We'll see if I get a response.

Gerber Sportsman
2.5" blade.

From Levine's guide
The original Folding Sportsman was introduced in 1972. It was designed by Al Mar, based on Ron Lake's InterFrame (Al was a packaging designer, not a knife designer). Al had asked Ron for permission to copy the InterFrame exactly, but he was not authorized by Pete Gerber to pay royalties to knifemakers, so Ron turned him down.

The first FS knives were made for Gerber in Solingen in 1972, and those knives continued in inventory into 1974. In 1973 Gerber began its own production of this model, re-naming it the FS II. In 1975 Gerber introduced the larger FS III, and in 1976 the smaller FS I. [Much as the Mark II preceded the Mark I.]

Fiskars bought Gerber in 1986. The FS II continued in production until around 1997. There were a number of changes in construction and marking details over the years, but as far as I know, none of these was tied to the change in ownership -- rather they reflected changes in manufacturing technology. Gerber did not keep quantity records so it is not known how many were made.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote