THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Can you make some suggestions about finishing a knife

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you make some suggestions about finishing a knife
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First, I hate to impose, but can someone here host a picture for this discussion?
I don't have any way to do it.

I have a damascus blade knife that is being finished by Tom Enos with a fossilized ivory handle.

I have two questions about finishing it, and need some input on what will make it look the best.

If someone can post the picture, I'll send it to you by email, as a .jpg file.
Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You can send it to me. My email address is in my profile.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here is the picture:

Click the picture for a larger version, or click here for the original, very large image.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are my questions about finishing this:

The blade is 5.5 inches (a Damascus USA blank that is a copy of a Randall).

In the middle of the handle is a small round depression. A dime sits almost perfectly in it, as seen in this picture.

The knife maker has suggested filling this with a silver medallion with his logo and the date.
What do you think?
Medallion? Inlay another piece of ivory?
(A small compass would fit, but is unfortunately effected by the metal tang within the ivory)

Second question: What about putting a silver color butt cap on the end?

Thanks in advance.

Garrett

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and Charles, thanks again for posting the picture.

Garrett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First, I really like the knife and the combination of the damascus blade with the fosselized ivory is fantastic.
I have put handles on many knives and would not feel right putting my name on them since I unless I produced the blade, which I believe is the soul of the knive.
I think that the idea of the inlay or medallion is fine but why not the owners initials or name engraved on it maybe with the makers logo?
Since it appears that the tang does not go entirely through the handle, if I did put on a butt cap I would assure that it looked decorative primarily to assure that I didn't use it to tap/rap something. I realize that it would still provide some protection for the handle material but it still would probably be held on with epoxy and/or some pin/screw arrangement into the handle.
Personally I think that a cap would change the classic character of the knife but that's my view.

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote