THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    WTB Good Knife Sharpening / Honing Steel

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB Good Knife Sharpening / Honing Steel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sharpening Knives is not one of my strengths. In fact, I suck at knife sharpening. Just cannot seem to develop the knack. But, always wanting to improve I have occasionally used a borrowed sharpening steel to hone up an edge or two. Some have been so easy to use that even my fumbling around has put sharpness back on a blade.
I want to buy a steel to carry in the field. One that anyone would find convenient to backpack carry and easy for a novice to achieve results with. I use simple folding knives like Bucks or similar. I would rather buy a high quality product but at the same time cannot afford to spend a fortune.
What are experts recommending currently ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
go to a car boot sale - look for the butchers steel with white plastic handle - the ones they use in meatworks.
Run your hand along the steel shaft - you shouldnt be able to feel any striations in the steel surface. The smoother the better.
Last two I picked up cost me $10 each. Dont worry if the shaft is a bit scruffy - some time on a wire buff wheel will fix that.
A steel is only to true the edge of your knife - it isnt a file or a whetstone. Its the thing you use to freshen up the blade as you are using it .
If you want the best knife sharpener around buy yourself a Scarey-Sharp system - made in Hawera , NZ. Its called that for a damn good reason

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is just for that purpose, I bought a ceramic stick about 4 inches long and put it in my backpack.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
Muzza, two good suggestions, thanks. I'll check out Scarey-Sharp - sounds good.
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1994 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad taught me how to sharpen knives back when I was a kid. He was a butcher for over 40 years.

I just use two whetstones, one coarse and one fine. I have a full-sized butcher's steel for working up meat.

In the field, I carry a small honing stone and a small retractable Buck ceramic steel for touch up.

Never had a problem with a dull knife when skinning and boning elk in the field with just a small folding Buck knife.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote