The Accurate Reloading Forums
WTB Good Knife Sharpening / Honing Steel

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/6711071142

23 April 2018, 22:05
30.06king
WTB Good Knife Sharpening / Honing Steel
Sharpening Knives is not one of my strengths. In fact, I suck at knife sharpening. Just cannot seem to develop the knack. But, always wanting to improve I have occasionally used a borrowed sharpening steel to hone up an edge or two. Some have been so easy to use that even my fumbling around has put sharpness back on a blade.
I want to buy a steel to carry in the field. One that anyone would find convenient to backpack carry and easy for a novice to achieve results with. I use simple folding knives like Bucks or similar. I would rather buy a high quality product but at the same time cannot afford to spend a fortune.
What are experts recommending currently ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.
24 April 2018, 14:37
muzza
go to a car boot sale - look for the butchers steel with white plastic handle - the ones they use in meatworks.
Run your hand along the steel shaft - you shouldnt be able to feel any striations in the steel surface. The smoother the better.
Last two I picked up cost me $10 each. Dont worry if the shaft is a bit scruffy - some time on a wire buff wheel will fix that.
A steel is only to true the edge of your knife - it isnt a file or a whetstone. Its the thing you use to freshen up the blade as you are using it .
If you want the best knife sharpener around buy yourself a Scarey-Sharp system - made in Hawera , NZ. Its called that for a damn good reason

Old enough to know better
24 April 2018, 21:03
larrys
If it is just for that purpose, I bought a ceramic stick about 4 inches long and put it in my backpack.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
24 April 2018, 22:52
30.06king
Thanks guys.
Muzza, two good suggestions, thanks. I'll check out Scarey-Sharp - sounds good.
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.
25 April 2018, 21:04
BuffHunter63
My dad taught me how to sharpen knives back when I was a kid. He was a butcher for over 40 years.

I just use two whetstones, one coarse and one fine. I have a full-sized butcher's steel for working up meat.

In the field, I carry a small honing stone and a small retractable Buck ceramic steel for touch up.

Never had a problem with a dull knife when skinning and boning elk in the field with just a small folding Buck knife.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!