THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    White Hunter "replica" (kind of ) in damascus steel....

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Hunter "replica" (kind of ) in damascus steel....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
Many (so many!) years ago, my father gave me a knife to celebrate my first successful big game hunting (which was a red deer)...

That knife was (and still is) a Puma White Hunter which was, up to then, his own hunting knife... needless to say that that knife has a very special place in my heart (and soul)...

A lot of time passed since the last time I went to hunt with my father Frowner and I started to think to have him his hunting knife back (sort of remembrance and nostalgia, trying to bring alive all those wonderful days we spent together) .... but at the same time I didn't want to "loose" my White Hunter (he wouldn´t accept it back anyway), knife that has already gained its own value, both in my father's hands as well as in mines - and hopefully, in the near future, in my son´s (he is just 5)

But then I had the luck to meet two wonderful bladesmiths ... and I realized the perfect solution: to make a "replica" of that knife, completely handmade, with some small arrangements (mainly in what the handle concerns) and in damascus steel ...

The selected steels were W1 and L6, the chosen pattern was “ladderâ€, the defense made of nickel-silver, and the sheath made as similar as possible to the original one...

I had it finished just two days before last Christmas, so that was what Santa gave my dad!!

While my dad was admiring (he was so pleased !) this replica, moving his wrist while he was handing it, checking the grip, the edge, the weight, how it performs, and so on, I had a flash of remembrances when I was a boy and he was leading and teaching my first steps and movements in the hunting world - many of these moments long forgotten and remembering them for the first time in many years... and a glance at his face made me realized he was also remembering those times - and suddenly me and my father found each other in another world and time long gone .... away from our current obligations and limitations, sharing the remembrance of a life of joy and pleasure we shared ... I think that he appreciates my gift as much as I did (and still do) with his, both knives having the magic necessary to transmit such a moving message without using a single word....

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Absolutely beautiful, the story as well as the knife. Bravo

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking knife and a great sentiment.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You are a very special person, Martin.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ronin thank you for sharing with us this emotive post,Nick you are rigth Martin is the most generous person you can meet and a brave hunter and warrior .Martin ill be in la patagonia a couple of weeks then came to hunt boars with knife at la verdecita.THE KNIFE IS BEAUTIFUL who make it.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
A work of art it is Martin, nice too see tha the great white hunter can be made with damascend blade.

(oh my poor bank account Big Grin)

I got a Puma bowie a month ago, and that will be used on wildboar hunting with Juan...

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
A beautiful knife and a wonderful gesture.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your comments, gentlemen !!
cheers

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really pretty and the handle design changes are only for the better. Great story and a great gift. Both father and son are blessed.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Thank you, "Fat Cat" Wink

Indeed the changes in the handle design (IMHO) make this knife much more confortable than the original one... in fact I would even change the handle of the White Hunter aswell ... just that I don`t want to change its original look - besides when I asked my father for his own opinion he exercised his right of veto telling me that "I wouldnt change it at all ... but do as you please" Roll Eyes

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Martin IKI competed in the national shotgun championship today.We have been hunting pheasnts and ducks all the week end .Im searching for your new dogo wait a week.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Juan !!Send my congrats to Iki !
Perhaps I might even go to visit you and bring the dogo with me (he is supposed to replace the old guardian of my house, a twelve years old german shepherd who died last week CRYBABY... I am missing that wonderful dog... sometimes I do wish a heaven to exist for these unique companions ... Frowner Frowner

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
What a great knife.
The handle on your new and improved version looks better then the original one. Looks like the Bark river handles.
Beautiful work.

Congratulations and thanks fpr sharing the pictures and the story.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great knife and story . The puma whie hunter was my first purchase as a young man.What a great knife, I wore it out chopping and abuseing it. I wouuld love to have one made. Please PM me with the cost and who did the work.
Thanks
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro