New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ka-Bar Knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
While rummaging through my shop I found a knife that I’ve had since the 60’s. Never paid much attention to it until today when I realized it’s a USN Kar-Bar Mk2. It’s in rough shape, but it obviously has some history.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 935 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
A neat looking piece. What is the story behind those knives?

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were issued to Marines and various Navy personnel during WWII. This one, with the markings on the guard puts it at 1944 or later. Originally had a round leather handle with a pommel on the end.

I found this one while wading a creek fishing. It was stuck in a tree stump with the handle all rotted away. That was over 60 years ago. My dad helped me put a hickory handle on it. I stored it away years ago and just found it searching for something else.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 935 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Great story. As a kid I loved nothing more than finding a knife and cleaning it up.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Ka-Bar handle rebuild kit and a sheath from Ka-Bar’s website. I know it’s rough, but maybe I can restore some of its glory.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I hope you leave the blade in present condition and age handle to match.
I'm sure others will strongly disagree!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, I think the blade patina needs to stay. The replacement leather handle will have to be “stressed” to match the character of the blade.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net