THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    How many knives do you carry in the field?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many knives do you carry in the field?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted
Out of curiosity how many knives do you gentlemen carry while in the field and what types?

Here is what I have carried...

While packing in Alaska, I carried a fixed blade knife and two folders. I usually had the fixed blade knife and one of the folders in my pack and the remaining folder in my pocket. All drop point designs.

Prior to making knives, I would carry a fixed blade knife and a small folder while hunting deer and elk in the lower 48. Once again, both drop points.

Since I began making knives I carry a small fixed blade drop point on my belt and carry a Semi-Skinner in my day pack.

Thanks,
Lee
http://baumgarthandmadeknives.blogspot.com/

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Normally two, sometimes three:

• One with a folding blade - Either a Swiss Army knife or a 1990 Remington "Tracker"
  • One with a fixed blade - Almost always a stainless Randall 22-5 "Outdoorsman"

Sometimes I carry both folders

Maybe I just liked the names - Army, Tracker, Outdoorsman Smiler

•  
    Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I've always got at least 3 different knives with me. My main knife is a Diamondblade. A Havalon Piranta plus a knife that I'm not afraid to use as a punch or chisel. This is the first year for the Havalon and I was impressed. The Diamondblade is the best knife I have ever owned as long as you stay away from bone.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I always have an Opinel no7 in my pocket. When Im hunting I have a No 9 close by. They really perform well for most tasks if not all.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I can't recall the last time I went as far as my mailbox without at least four knives of one descriotion or another ranging from a leatherman Micro to a USMC KayBar.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
    Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
    posted Hide Post
    I usually only carry a large clip point folder when hunting. First one I carried was a Buck 110, and afterwards used a Kabar Bear Paw, Opinel #9, BladeTech Pro Hunter, and now use a Benchmade 710. When doing the butchering I usually use 3 or so knives, but when hunting I'll only carry one.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Most of my hunting is done on my ranch, so my truck mostly carries my selection of knives as I usually transport game back to a cleaning area. Like many knife nuts, I've got waaay more knives that I can ever use but I'll carry some around in the truck and try them for a while on hogs or deer. Hogs are terrible on edges while skinning because of their tendency to roll in mud.

To answer the question, for years I carried a Spyderco Native in S30V and used it to partially or completely (down to quarters) process dozens, if not hundreds of hogs and deer. However, for some odd reason, as it has been sharpened, it doesn't take the edge it used to, and I am carrying it now mostly for the day to day ranching chores where scrapping and cutting on metal, etc is common. That doesn't help most edges. I use a Sharpmaker for most sharpening, quick and easy, but I'm taking the Native down to a finer angle and seeing what happens, not there yet.

Not original, and by far not my best knives for the purpose, but my hunting carry is currently a older full, but not the extra large, size Case trapper (2 blades). If I seriously think I'm going to have to skin something, I carry a Buck Kaala Mayo in S30V (no longer made but there is a similar one called Hartsook) which is a stainless small neck type knife, no handle, sharp as hell, and fits in a shirt pocket. Skin with it, hit it with the fine grits on a Sharpmaker and it is good for the next effort.

AFA best knives that I have used for normal hunting/skinning/processing purposes, that would be hard to say, but my set of David Winstons in S30V would be worthy of mention. I also think one of the sharpest and best knives I own is a Bob Marshall by Rick Dunkerley out of 52100, an amazing steel if done right, and Rick is a master of it. Luckily I was able to have him make me a pair of these, one for me and one for my son. Of course, unfortunately he no longer makes these "cheap" knives, most of his start well over $1000. They are not common but if you find one for sale (before I do Wink ) buy it.

If someone is going to use the knives just for skinning/processing etc then getting a pair of Victorinox Forschners for about $20-30 apiece is some of the best money you will ever spend. BTW the one I use the most is the Fibrox Flexible Curved Boning knife. Cutlery and more has the 6 inch on clearance for $12.99....a helluva deal.

xxxxxxxxxx
    When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    three

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Knives should be more than one, simply for the reason that they are easily lost, drowning, etc.. to be without a knife even in the company of other hunters - not very comfortable, but if you are one, then it is fraught with failure of hunting, and even life-threatening, if you have to spend the night in the winter forest. The knife is need, even if you have the axe, which, of course, more useful than big knife for camping activities.
    Many years ago I was fond of knives with a fixed blade, ready or handicraft, sometimes quite exotic (for example, a knife with a blade made of beryllium bronze, or multi-function knife with a detachable blade from the AK-47, or a large surgical knife with handle of saiga horns). But the big knife is completely useless as a weapon... Now I think that it's best Swiss Army Knife company Victorinox (not Wenger), models where the blade can be opened by a finger, and not by the nail. Saw, can opener and toothpick - in amount even more useful than the actual blade. One problem - you have to choose between the options with a corkscrew and with a Phillips screwdriver, both tools are needed Smiler. Those knives where these both tools combined - large and uncomfortable.
    As a fallback - the Swedish so-called fishing knife company BAHCO, light, deep plastic sheath, with a "warm" rubber grip that does not slip when wet.
    If you still have to take with a large knife, the device handle is almost the most important. Ideal type-setting arm of birch bark that doesn't make your hand feel cold. How to wear it? If on the Trouser belt, it is inconvenient when a long jacket. The outer belt, of course, useful, not to cling by the belly behind the bushes. But to wear the knife on it is a sure way to lose. Have to wear or in a large pocket, or in backpack. But so the knife does not perform its main function: to be an ornament of a real hunter. This problem I haven't decided yet.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of DesertRam
    posted Hide Post
    I carry three bladed tools every day - a Leatherman Squirt with a small pen knife type blade (useful for cleaning fingernails and digging out splinters, and the scissors are handy), an inexpensive do-it-all NRA model Buck folder that I got in exchange for a "donation" to the NRA ILA (it recently replaced a nice little Kershaw because I lost one of the screws that holds the pocket clip on and I'm afraid to lose the knife until I find a replacement screw), and a Leatherman Wave with two knife blades.

When hunting, I also carry a solid custom made fixed blade knife for field dressing chores, either on my belt or in my pack. I keep a pair of butcher knives and a skinner in the truck for those times when I get a whole or mostly whole animal to the truck.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of dpcd
    posted Hide Post
    Two; a Puma White Hunter and a 4 inch drop point Old Timer.

Posts: 17059 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I carry one while hunting. Either a fixed blade EDC from Billy Helton or a folding Jekyl from Surefire.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I carry a Whiteriver Bush knife, a small folder and sometimes a bowie knife, just depending upon where and how the hunting is

Keep the Pointy end away from you
    www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I carry a Swiss Army knife in the pocket and a small drop-point in the day-pack and that's about it, while actually hunting in the field.
    The exception being for elk and moose, I then carry a couple fixed-blades instead of just one because the task usually involves full skinning and quartering, at a minimum.
    Back at camp, I have an assortment depending on the task at hand.
    Knives are like rifles; some days you just feel like carrying a different one.
    Zeke

One of Us
    Picture of SGraves155
    posted Hide Post
    A leatherman multi-tool for everything except butchering
    and
    A 4-5 inch fixed blade for gutting/skinning.

Don't like to get blood in a folder, and don't want a big fixed blade getting in the way when sitting down.

Steve
    "He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
    "Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
    Tanzania 06
    Argentina08
    Argentina
    Australia06
    Argentina 07
    Namibia
    Arnhemland10
    Belize2011
    Moz04
    Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Alberta Canuck
    posted Hide Post
    When I used to hunt a lot, the knives I carried varied according to the game pursued and my mood on that particular day.
    For moose hunting, I'd carry either a WWII surplus combat knife (by Western IIRC) for splitting the sternum and disjointing the hips and pelvis, or a small one-hand bone saw. For the skinning of moose I mostly used a copy of a Morseth Cascade Skinner,(made of very high quality Damascus steel by Bill Buchner of Iydlewild, Oregon). Bill made the steel, the knife blade/hilt, the bolsters, the scales, the whole nine yards.

For deer I used two folders...one a Case Sodbuster (for gutting & skinning) and a Case Muskrat for any fine work which presented itself.

I always had a Victorianox in my truck's glove compartment, along with a good large soft (red)Washita sharpening stone. I had a very small hard (white) Washita stone in my shirt pocket.

Bird game didn't need much in the way of knives, as I learned early on how to gut a grouse or partridge by tearing a small hole with my fingers through the skin just below the breastbone and bending it backwards until broke in half. The guts then could be pulled out all in one mass together, and the bird's skin could be removed (if desired) by pulling it off just as one would a sock. The same technique works on rabbits/hares too.

I've got lots of pricier knifes, but those are all I ever needed in the field.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of FMC
    posted Hide Post
    Like rifles, I don't believe in the jack of all trades and master of none philosophy.

I have 5 knives in my bag. Drop point folder and fixed, a skinner/gut hook, a caper and a longer fighter for general use. I'm looking at getting a semi skinner as well. None of these are particularly fancy as I have no issue using them as hammers, screwdrivers or whatever. My good knives stay at home.

FWIW I just love the little 3 1/2" Gerber drop point (folder/fixed above) if I only needed one knife that would be it.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I carry a Benchmade McHenry and Williams D2 folder every day and use it for most everything. Good blade, sharpens well and holds an edge. The other is a fixed blade Cold Steel Master Hunter, just a great useable blade and it works well for any big game tasks I've encountered. Just picked up another one of those with the San Mai laminated blade and I'm anxious to try it out.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
    Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of FMC
    posted Hide Post
    Do you like that Cold Steel? That's my utility knife- doesn't hold an edge though. But it is stout so it has some utility. I ground a drop point into it similar profile to my Gerbers.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I carry 3 at all times...........

Leatherman
    Old timer 3 blade stockman
    Boker Kalashnikov auto (lately)

They handle most everything I need........

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    the one knife I really miss is my cold steel carbon-V master hunter.

That knife took a wicked edge and held it...
    I have no experience with the stainless steel versions...

I lost that knife when my truck was broken into and though it was subsequently recovered I never got it back from the police
    (and they wonder why some people think cops are criminal scum)

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
    Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    I carry more knives now than I ever have. I've become a Havalon convert, so I carry one of the Havalon knives with a 1-2" blade, with lots of spare blades in both lengths.

But, you need a breaker for rib cages, etc., so I also carry a Buck, it's got about a 4 1/2" blade. Works like a charm. I think they used to call it the "Vanguard", but I could be wrong.

For butchering, I use the above two knives, and I add a Havalon filet knife. Works like a charm as a boning and trimming knife.

I also like a nice folder, just in case. So I carry a Benchmade. Never go anywhere without my Buck Stockman I got for my 16th birthday. And, I carry a Charlie May on my belt, just because I like it.

Posts: 9969 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    A 3 blade 4 inch Stockman in my daypack (primarily for splitting pelvises). 2-3 droppoint or semi skinners also (for gutting skinning and boning). A cross draw Dozier on my belt w/ my sidearm. I vary my (many) choices throughout the season (which never ends). Oh, and I do not leave the house w/o an AG Russell featherlite in my pocket.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of waterrat
    posted Hide Post
    I carry 3,,

3' drop point,initial cuts and openings

vitornix skinner

Case trapper,, for caping

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of TCLouis
    posted Hide Post
    One folder on my belt and one sheath knife in my daypack

Don't limit your challenges . . .
    Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Pa.Frank
    posted Hide Post
    I always carry at least two.

One is my Klien tool lightweight 3 1/2" folder in my pocket, and the other could be a Buck, Gerber, or Camillius.. on my belt... and if I'm going on a real hike into unfamiliar territory, then my homemade bronze tomahawk comes along too.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    It looks like I'll be carrying my new Lee Baumgart semi-skinner in my pack this coming Fall...along with a "Grace" small dropper. Check out my stag handled knife on Lee's blog by clicking on his link under his posts.
    Thanks Lee! It's a beaut and should function well.
    Zeke

One of Us
    Picture of Lee Baumgart
    posted Hide Post
    ZekeShikar,

Thank you for your comments and your patience while I was making it. I hope it serves you well in the field and that you have the opportunity to use it a lot!

Thanks,
    Lee
    http://baumgarthandmadeknives.blogspot.com/
    baumgartknives@gmail.com

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote