Find
Notify
Tools

Elmer Keith style knife ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AMRA
posted
I have been wanting a Elmer Keith style for a while now after seeing a Harvey Draper in a old gun magazine. What is the history on the style of this knife as to the design of the blade?
Who made the original knife for Elmer? Who makes them today? Is there a photo of Elmer`s own knife?

Posts: 84 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Gil Hibben who designed and made the original knife for Elmer Keith. I can't be 100% sure, but that is all I can remember for now.
I know he still makes knives and you might try and contact him. There is a maker named Steve Voorhis, who makes some really nice knives. I remember seeing one by him done in Elmer's design. I have owned a couple of Voorhis knives and they are very nicely done. The problem is, I have bought mine from dealers and have yet to find an address or anyway to contact him directly. Hope this helps.

After I posted this I found his site. hibbenknives.com. Has a Keith style listed for sale at $650.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually got one of these ss a Guns & Ammo subscription premium many years ago. I can remember, but I think I gave it away.

Found a picture of the thing:

http://cutlerscove.com/hunting-knives/hunting-group.htm

Was a very simple knife but not well made. After learning more about blades and the craft, I'd have to describe it as "cobby" and unfriendly as the guard and pommel combination would not be easy on the hands and the blade is not a particularly useful shape.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the origonal was made by John Nelson Cooper. The Guns& Ammo give away knives were made in Japan. Cheers, Luke

Posts: 350 | Location: pueblo, Co. USA | Registered: 01 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AMRA,,believe I still have a couple of those, look just like the one in the bottom of the pic,,if your interested in one drop me a line

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Somewhere I've got one of the "subscription" knives. I think it is one of the worst designs imaginable for ordinary hunting use. The blade is too big for inside the chest cavity use and not long enough for general butchering/camp use. You could pick almost any modern using type knifemaker, throw a dart blindfolded at a page of his various designs and be better off.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote