New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacing scales on a folder questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a sot of old (30 years) German folder that has very unbalanced scales. They are a rather poor grade of stag. One side is significantly thinner than the other side, and it feels funny in the hand.

I am thinking about replacing the scales myself, and was looking for any tips. The scales currently on the knife are pinned on with brass rivets, but I suppose they are glued on as well?????

I am looking for tips on removal of the current scales and installation of new scales--going to look for a book or two tonight on Amazon--any tips on a good book would be appreciated also.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish,

There's a book written by a guy by the name of Kelly that describes how to repair folders. I can't put my hands on my copy at the moment, so I can't give you the ISBN Number.
Blackie Collins also wrote a book on folders that would help.
Every folder that I've ever re-scaled I took completely apart. It is labor intensive getting them back together, correctly, so they walk and talk.
There may be a way to put new scales on a folder without taking it completely apart, but I suspect that the scales would have less integrity with just epoxy holding them as opposed to pinning and gluing.

Good luck with yours.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB, thanks for the info. I will try and look for the books by Mr. Kelly and Blackie Collins. I haven't purchased a book yet. A couple of the knife supply places I have found have some info, so I will try and put it all together--no pun intended!

Thanks again--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Dremil Tool with a round headed Rotary File.You will have to also grind off the Blade Swival Pin and the rear Bolster Pin.I hope you have a steady hand and are patient.The Scales will be pinned to the Liner on the inside.You will need to grind them out also.If you really want to do it,post some Pics so I can be more specific.I could do the Job for you and replace the Stag with some good Sambar.Let me know and I will help in anyway I can. OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Depending on how thick your scales are, you could try splitting the scales off, filing down the riveted head, making a thinner scale, placing it over the existing rivet head, and then peening the rivet back into place. I've never done this, but if you don't like the scales nothing wrong with breaking them off.

I'd use a dremel, probably with a burr, and make a line between the 2 rivets and then extending past to the ends of the scales. Now use a flat bladed screwdriver in the groove and give it a twist to break the scale.

File down the flared sides of the rivets, and make a tagboard pattern of the silhouette. Put it together with epoxy. When the epoxy has set up put a metal (steel) shim in the center of teh knife and use a nail set with a 2 or 4 oz hammer to lightly peen the rivets back down. Also, I'd solder the rivet pins when the handles were off. Takes a minute but adds a lot to strength and longevity.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, if you break the scales off,what would you use as a template for the new ones?????I don`t think that is a good idea.I believe it is better to take the knife apart to do the job correctly.On folders that are pinned correctly,no epoxy or glue is needed as long as the Scales are flat to the Liners.I have restored many antique American Self openers and no matter what the brand ,have yet to find one where the Scales have been glued in any way,shape or form.If you want to do a correct restoration,it must be back as original.if you don1t care and are just going to use it as a EDC,it really doesn`t matter what you do to it.As long as I am at it,i have a collection of over 250 Stag folders.Auto and non.Matching Stag on a factory Knife is rare indeed.my personal opinion is to leave the Knife alone as that is what gives it its Uniqueness.Of course all the above is my personal opinion which i am always happy to share!!!!! dancing

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote