THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    What has happened to Gerber and Kershaw?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What has happened to Gerber and Kershaw?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to WalMart yesterday and stopped in the sporting goods dept and looked at some lock blade knives and most of the Gerbers and Kershaws were made in either Taiwan or China. They were kind of sorry looking pieces compared to the older ones they used to make. I bought a Buck but am unsure of the model, it is made in USA and is a real smooth action. I only wish it wasn't so bulky but I really like it other than that.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1186 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I was shocked to see that Browning knives are made in China as well.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Part of the reason may be Walmart and their policies.They tend to drive out quality. In fact that's exactly one of the things that drove Schrade out of business !!A company my friend works for was thinking about being a supplier fo Walmart .After careful research they decided against it !

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
They are just following one of the 'modern' business models. If I can sell 3 times as much THIS YEAR (very important...short sighted) for 75% of the price at 50% the quality, I do it! That's the fun of companies run by accountants with ZERO regard for and understanding of quality and its long term effect on the bottom line. They just gotta keep sales and profits in line with industry analyst predictions.

I could go on for hours on this, as I see it way too much in my business. What also happens is that a competitor lowers their price (and quality, usually) and Joe Moneywatcher says "We have to meet their price no matter what". The competitor responds in like fashion. The cycle is started and it usually ends with one or both going out of business because some other company takes over their market.

Some companies, like Buck, make full lines with both high and midrange products. Gerber has some better ones available through Cabelas...same designs but with better steels. Kershaw, well, I expect them to follow Schrade within 10 years if they stay on their current path.

Have you ever wondered if maybe that is why the semi-custom and high end guys are doing so well?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
when i was hunting in pennsylvania i bougth to mossy oaks knives to cape my withetails there were made in taiwan they performed well but i prefer american made.i bougth them at wall mart too juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Have you heard its the New World Order!

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I hate Chineese goods Mad
They have no sence of quality control. I like top draw quality and the chineese products just dont do it for me.
I can cope with Japaneese made blade due to the fact that they have a different perception of quality then the chineese. And furthermore have a proud knife and sword tradition.

I like American made knives like TOPS, Strider, Airkat and Randall. They are all, All American made.

Don't buy Chalie's products Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I don't especially like Kershaw because the ones I've had in the past from them haven't been able to hold an edge.

I think the last knives I've bought were Benchmade's, and I've been very pleased with them.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
You just need to get out and shop someplace other than WalMart. I have a Kershaw Ken Onion Mod. 1550 and it's made in the USA. Their higher end knives still are made in the USA.

I wouldn't impugn Kershaw simply because they recognized a market and made a deal with a retailer that has the ability to exploit it.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slatts
posted Hide Post
Someone said it. Schrade's downfall began when they lost their Walmart preferred provider status.

Chinese knives and really any steel product made in China is not worth squat. I agree that Taiwan quality can be iffy, but do not think it is the same as China. The Tawain made knives I've handled are generally good quality.

I try to stick first with American, then Japanese, and German made steel.

Posts: 468 | Location: Tejas | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Gerber still makes excellent knives here in the USA. I recently bought 3 of their knives with the s30v blades that they make and sell exclusively through Cabela's.The blades are marked USA. They run @ 75-80 bucks apiece, and are some of the best production knives I've used.

One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
Ever try doing your own knife? It's possible to purchase a very good blade of your choice and fit your own handle to it. This is a good place to start. They offer a wide variety of both fixed and folding blades. I've made several and highly recomend it. Gives you a great sence of pride. http://www.texasknife.com/store/s-pages/TKS_MainframeStore.htm

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
I hate Chineese goods Mad
They have no sence of quality control.

Its not that the Chinese do not have good quality control, it is that the majority of Americans will not pay for higher quality products.
Its as simple as that. Our market is flooded with cheap crap because that is what we buy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The quality in my CKRT M16-13T is very good. It is made in Taiwan and I highly recommend it. My next knife will be a Kabar but it won't be a folder. My next folder will be the TAK #!. Reeves are too darn expensive.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HELLO THE CAMPFIRE:
i can not stand to shop n Walmart or Kmart anymore, because of their aditude and lack of knowledge
I K-mart Sat. I wanted a hunting licence and shot shells. I waited at the desk for wat seemed a long time, no one came to help me. I went to the front and asked for help. After another long period of time a female employee came up and asked what did I need?
I told her a hunting licence nad she said I don't do that I will get some one else. The some one else sent word back that K-mart did not do hunting licences anymore, all the while the sign was up get your licence here. I went to Wally World and finally after three people tried, Was told the licence I wanted was not avalible. I looked tat the computer screen and there it was. I shutter to think about asking about guns, knives or amunition.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?