New
Find
Notify
Tools

Industrial circular saw blades
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was just given 3 Large circular saw blades, from a local shop. The are carbide tipped, but of interest is the center material? I have no idea what it is made of? A magnet does stick to it. It seem to be tough, but not real hard? I have cut them into strips with a cut off wheel. They were 20" in dia. and .130 thick. one is thicker @ .230"

I will experiment with hardening, and temp. before making any blades.
Any suggestions?

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to bladeforums.com and ask. I don't know about yours but many blades are made from L-6 a very fine knife steel.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never assume that a saw blade is L6 ,most of them aren't !! Since the tips are carbide they'll use the lowest grade they can for the blade. It's much easier to get a proper piece of steel , without the guess work .
This is the standard answer that I and others give on Bladeforums !! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when you are just starting out you use what ever you can get your hands on? why mess up a Good piece of metal when you can mess up a Free piece of metal? I wonder if our fore fathers would have thrown away a Free piece of metal?

Live every day like it was your last, because someday it will be!!!

Posts: 140 | Location: N. E. Ohio | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
If you can get an earlier saw blade with teeth cut from the blade itself rather than a carbide tipped type you should have a better chance of getting a usable blade from the steel.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
IF the blades still are usable, I think I would find them a home and use the money to buy steel with a pedigree you can trace.

If the are not serviciable, then what the heck one has to mess up some steel to practice, it might as well be free steel.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote