THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Anyone here,dealt with Idaho Knife works?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here,dealt with Idaho Knife works?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Saw one of their brochures,The Cliff Knife
looked interesting.Seemed a little pricy.

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My shooting buddy bought one about a year or so ago. I think it was the large survival knife listed on the website....I was very impressed with it. He is a 30 year Special Forces vet and does a lot of martial arts including the use of a knife. They are a bit pricey in my opinion also, but his was a very nice knife.

Posts: 1637 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I currently own six knives by Idaho Knife Works (Mike Mann). Keep in mind, they are handforged by an expert maker who has been making knives since the 1960's. In my opinion, Mike's prices are excellent for the level of quality that you find in his knives.

The Cliff Canoe knife, and the Cliff Hunter, are excellent knives. The Cliff knife was designed by Cliff Jacobson (hence its name) the famed canoe guide. Cliff Jacobson uses Mike's knives. The Canoe Knife is made of 1/16" L-6, flat ground, 4-1/4" blade (standard), and cuts like nobodies business. It is my favorite lightweight blade around the camp. Nothing surpasses its slicing/dicing performance in the camp kitchen as I have discovered while using it for several years now (just don't let your wife use it...never get it back). Mike will forge the Cliff Hunter in 5160 steel at 1/8" - 3/16" spine. I prefer the 1/8" blade in that knife.

Mike has won a number of awards at the knife shows over the years...too numerous to list here. You really need to use his knives to fully appreciate his eye for cutting geometry, heat treat, and ergonomic detail.

Most important, at least for me, is Mike and his wife are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. People of integrity. They ALWAYS aim to please and remain interested in how their knives perform for you, even over the years. I agree with one of Mike's best friends (an ABS Mastersmith), "Mike doesn't charge enough for his knives." Smiler

Buy one! You'll like it!

Posts: 1 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I like the way the edge go back all the way to the handle on many of those knifes. Too seldom seen on American knifes in my opinion. Really don't know why (I know, I have asked that before Smiler)

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote