New
Find
Notify
Tools

Creating a nail nick?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a useful two-bladed double-locking folding knife with a slightly more than annoying problem. I am left-handed. The knife's most used blade (both blades pivot on one pivot pin) blade has a right-hander's thumb stud for opening it. This stud interferes with about 3/8 inch of blade when slicing or penetrating deeply. I have tried to open the blade when my hands are wet or greasy without switching hands. Opening is very difficult for my arthritic fingers, but opening a dry blade with dry fingers is easy.

The secondary blade has a nail nick and operates easily regardless of conditions. Unfastening thumb stud and creating a nail nick or other method of opening the blade should remedy this irritating issue. And were the nail nick to be poorly done, or the nick to not do what I want it to do, no big deal. I just reattach the stud, and I am no worse off than I am now.

I have no Dremel tool or other power grinder/cutter. No file I own can do the job. Neither twist drill nor drill bits can notch blade. I live in Missoula County, Montana. Anyone in the area available for the job? While it appears to me to be a five-minute job, I am more than willing to pay for the work.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Wish you were close, diamond wheel in a high sped rotary tool and a nail nick would be there in no time.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have quite a few great makers in your area. Go go the book store that has knives 2020 issue. Look up the ones closet to you. Given a call.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
You have quite a few great makers in your area. Go go the book store that has knives 2020 issue. Look up the ones closet to you. Given a call.
Knife makers seem to have a few standard answers to my local query. Among them are:

1. I work only on my own knives.

2. I'm back ordered XXX weeks or months.

3. Why do you want. ... I've got available ...

4. I make knives part time. Give me a call in XXX months.

And on, and on.
More and more I'm thinking I should buy a [hand] power rotary grinder and try to do it.

It would be nice if I could find that person I requested in original post. I received a reply on my other forum's query. I responded, but nothing since.

Oh well.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Have you contacted Lee Baumgart here on AR? You might try him and see if he could do it for you, or if he could recommend someone to help you. He lives in Washington State. I mean, you're willing to pay to have it done, so it's not a freebie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve e done such things
We’ll talk

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a dremel. You will find other uses for it. Walmart!

Posts: 693 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tie it down on the mill and use a carbide endmill
With a radius it looks nice.
Make about a 3/4” cut.
Opened up a lot of buck knives where the nail nick is.
You can open it up one handed with the side of your thumb
In a big shop……once you do one the word gets around
I’d do it for friends for a Dr Pepper
So if I saw a guy with an unopened Dr Pepper you sort of figured what he wanted

Sort of looked like an elongated letter D
With a maybe .003 radius so it would catch and not cut on your thumb

Posts: 433 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote