Find
Notify
Tools

A couple of my projects.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
Thought I would post a pic of a couple that I am working on just now. The first has Ivory/nickle silver and the second will have african blackwood/nickle silver. They are a pair to match with the pair of rifles I built. a light and a heavy for a light and a heavy.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2680 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That just looks like it would be warm and comfortable in ones hand when they held it! Don't know why, just the way I feel when I am looking at it.

The fitting appears to SUPERB also.

! ! NICE ! !

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4220 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very attractive lines, I really like how the lines flow. Looks like some fine knives. Good work. thumb

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. What type of steel did you use for the blade. What is the handle material. Do you generally prefer a flat grind as opposed to a convex grind?

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Giday 22WRF. For the Small knife I used a piece of French steel WNR4110 and Paper Ivory Mikarta. I prefer a flat grind as I think it is stronger, and easier to deal with for the inevitable re-work after prolonged use. I use my knives a lot.
For the larger of the knives I started from my Grandfathers scrub slasher. It had a date in the 1800's stamped on it. I have a friend who forges knives and he will harden-temper it for me as against the electricitly done for the little one. This is where the larger one started from.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Posts: 2680 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just starting to make knives. Self taught so many mistakes. But what a difference in a knife from most production knives to my basic ones..
Thanks for the pictures,,,
Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Cheers, Watson. The little ivory knife got a workout today. I took the 20VarTarg and got a doz rabbits for the table. Clean and dress was a breeze. You will apreciate a knife so much more when you make it yourself.

Von Gruff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work, Von Gruff! thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have very much liked to have had one to carry during my tours in Vietnam. Heck, I'd very much like to have one to carry these days.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Von Gruff:
Cheers, Watson. The little ivory knife got a workout today. I took the 20VarTarg and got a doz rabbits for the table. Clean and dress was a breeze. You will apreciate a knife so much more when you make it yourself.

Von Gruff.

Too bad it wasn't on one of those monster stag running around the hills of New Zealand!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice knife! I'll try to copy this.
Thank you very much for the drawings!
Hans

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Have just finished this one. Will post a couple of pics next week. So far the little ivory one has dressed out about 15 goats and numerous rabbits.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Von Gruff, I love that knife! I would buy one if you would sell me one! I really like the size and shape, and the bolster style. I think that is a perfect size knife for most deer and smaller size game!

Really nice stuff sir!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. I did and update on another thread but here is the second knife finished. It has very special meaning to carry being from a tool my grandfather used a lot. A friend who forges his blades has forged hardened and tempered this blade and I have been more than a bit pleased at how it has turned out. Am off to the mountaind in the next couple of weeks to hopefully test it on a few goats.

Have been playing with a pocketknife as well just to complete the set. This has 440 blade with titanium liners and handle scales. Will post a finished piuc in a week or two.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.