Find
Notify
Tools

the River Sunset Bowie
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
I got an email from a repeat customer asking if I would do a damascus bowie and having done a few stainless damascus display knives for him as well as carbon hard use knives I thought it was time to stretch my skill levels a bit. I was given free reign on the whole build so got an okay on costs and sugested a carbon steel damascus blade with a pattern called the Australian river so to carry on the theme which in my mind is dappled evening sunlight over the river with blackened tree stump and branch . Two slices of bronze for the sunlight, a blued S guard for the blackened branch, a wide ebony spacer for the tree stump and a beautiful piece of lacewood with a grain structure that looks like the contnuation of the river in the evening gloom. It was to be housed in a sheath with a croc skin inlay to continue the river theme.

Lots of time and effort and now

Just need and edge on the river sunset Bowie now after getting the sheath done today.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2681 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE work..!

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That’s a knife!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice knife and sheath! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Good job!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched the 1960's movie: "The Alamo", last night. I carefully looked at the Bowie Knife being carried by Jim Bowie (actor Richard Widmark). Made me appreciate the one above in the pics! tu2 By the way, the knife carried by Davey Crockett (John Wayne) was quite small in comparison. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an article in "Sporting Classics" a few months ago that claimed that the ore that was used to build Bowie's knife came from a meteorite.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy: Do you recall the month? I have most of the issues here at the house. I would like to read it (I probably did when came out, but I can't remember! rotflmo )

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's pretty.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
That is a gorgeous knife popcorn
I can’t help but to think about a D guard on it.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent and Elegant.

Posts: 10606 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would have been very interesting to have seen the Bowie knife that Jim Bowie died with at the Alamo. However, everything that I have read indicates that they do not know if it perished in the fire at the Alamo with Bowie, or was taken by a Mexican soldier as a souvenir or whatever. I did read where a historical museum has a Bowie knife that is stamped "Bowie No. 1" and has been dated to that time frame and maker. I also read that it could have been possible that an original Bowie knife did have some meteorite mixed in the blade, and one man has duplicated that effort in the modern day to show that it could have been possible. Apparently many people have been influenced by Jim Bowie, including David Bowie the singer who took his stage name from Jim and stated that his music is double edged like the Bowie knife. Furthermore, so many movies include Bowie type knives, including the Rambo movies. Such an interesting history!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading a couple of years ago where some rock star (I don't know his name) was an Alamo aficionado + collected memorabilia + supposedly bought Bowie's knife + then donated it to the Alamo Museum in San Antonio. Funny you mentioned David Bowie. A while ago a bunch of the liberal fringe here in Austin wanted the Bowie street signs to David Bowie St. Needless to say, that went over like a fart in church. I'll see if I can find that article; I want to say that the title was "The Iron Mistress" the same name as the Alan Ladd movie.