Find
Notify
Tools

Game saw recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I figure some off you knife guys would know of a lot of different options.

I need a compact saw for cleaning deer to elk sized game. I had one years ago but left it in the snow on the side of a mountain in Colorado. Something compact enough to carry but with at least 6" of saw blade. Would one of the interchangeable blade kits do?

Thanks for any help.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no clue. I just picked up a small folding saw I thought I would try out, it is from the 50's it appears and I picked it up at a junk store.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a foldable Browning saw (#921) last year. It has only cut up one animal, but the darned thing is sharp as heck! Set up as a folder, there is a detent pin that has to be depressed to open it, and the same pin evidently locks it open. Pouch and all was about $50 if memory serves. It fits in my fanny pack.

I bought a Gerber back in the late 90s for my first elk hunt, and the blade snapped halfway through the bull's pelvis. I think this Browning is tough enough that won't happen.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
only saw i have used was a stanley folding drywall saw.
pretty light. uses sawzall blades, holds two or three extra in the handle.
that being said; i use a very small axe 99% of the time
mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, apparently they don't make the 921 anymore, it's a 922.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
I carry one of these with me: https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-3...3CQ0A9W9SXG9AN6CEAKW

Definitely worth hauling around in my opinion. Not as good as a proper bone saw, but small enough to easily carry in my knife roll, and does the job well enough.

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I wanted a game saw but had little cash to spare. I went to the hardware store, bought a Saws All blade that looked like the right tooth pattern, cut it down, rounded the sharp edges, wrapped one end with electricians tape and put it in my pack. I have used that saw for 33 years now, same saw. It worked for me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Wyoming II saw. It's in a camo pouch that wraps around my waist as a belt. It has short and long bone blades and a long wood blade. Works well for sawing trees to about 6" in diameter for firewood. The saw is agile enough to split the pelvis of a large elk without cutting the intestines.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming saw. I would recommend it highly. I just spent over a week in the mountains. Some had brought a folding saw. I grabbed it and bent the blade. Got my Wyoming saw out and it worked great and I sawed a hell of a lot of wood. In conjunction with the Wyoming saw, I used a Swedish ax, Granfors Brux (sp) to limb the dead wood. They worked perfect together. I was sawing wood up to 8 to 10 inches in dismeter

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, guys

Frank

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
I carry one of these with me: https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-3...3CQ0A9W9SXG9AN6CEAKW

Definitely worth hauling around in my opinion. Not as good as a proper bone saw, but small enough to easily carry in my knife roll, and does the job well enough.

I have the same one.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I keep a drywall saw handle and sawzall blade in my pack. No big deal if you lose it, you can replace it at any hardware store for just a few dollars.

I keep a pack of replacement sawzall blades and a cordless sawzall in my truck.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Rocky Mountain PAC-SAW

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2927 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
I use a Wyoming II saw. It's in a camo pouch that wraps around my waist as a belt. It has short and long bone blades and a long wood blade. Works well for sawing trees to about 6" in diameter for firewood. The saw is agile enough to split the pelvis of a large elk without cutting the intestines.

That sounds like a lot of unnecessary work......splitting elk bones with a saw. We use the gutless method to break them down (several videos out there). It's fast, clean and it is still easy to get the tenderloins out. A knife with a 3-5" blade works perfect.

Posts: 223 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 April 2016Reply With Quote