Find
Notify
Tools

Another New Knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted
This one is for my nephew for Christmas. It is D2 tool steel, which will work the hell out of you without the big grinders and polishers and such. I'm making 4 knives out of D2. Hindsight...
Anyway, the scales are mahogany and red oak. Wasn't intending on doing it this way, but he mahogany lacked 1/4" of being wide enough, so I added a spacer and a little individuality. As a note, I designed all of these knives around the personalities of their intended owners. My nephew is 10, and built like a tank, so his knife is pretty stout as well, with a little extra belly, like him.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Just curious, but I was thinking about selling a few of these knives when I finish up with this batch, and use the proceeds to buy s 2x72 belt grinder and some other equipment. Do y'all think that this knife would be worth $150 or so? I'm not sure that that price would be more than min wage. lol

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want an honest answer, it's no. Not at this point of your knife making skills.

At $150 you're in the range of quite a few more advanced makers (check out maker's ads on Blade Forums)and many others that are more finished with better fit.

If you're serious about becoming a knife maker, you should get together with a local maker, and he will almost certainly help your skills along. BTW this should not be taken as negative, I think you're doing great for the time spend so far, but you've just started on a long journey.

None of my business but if you want to become a serious maker, you should STRONGLY consider using UN-heat treated metal and either doing it yourself (relatively easy, very much depending on steel used, many new makers start with O1 or similar for this reason) or have a commercial HT do it after you have shaped the blade and knife.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes heck of knife to beat the commercial stuff that is out there for less the 150 bucks.

I made a few for the fun of it and they are good useable knifes. Gave some to friends carry one around a bit.

But when one looks at what's on the market for the price. I couldn't even come close to competing with the price and quality of the mass produce stuff

Considering the time spent making one knife one would be working for some fairly low hourly wage.

Buck Gerber Cold Steel all turn our better knifes for less money.

Heck a couple of years ago I brought a couple of Winchester brand Wal-Mart knifes for 7 bucks a piece for using on mud covered hogs.

Good blade design held a edge really well. Handles were put on horribly. not very pretty
but they got the job done just as well as a lot more expensive knife. Might say even better I didn't have to worry about running a very exspensive blade throught a bunch of dirt.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote