The Accurate Reloading Forums
Help! Proper Cleaning and Storage??

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/5921078112

20 June 2015, 17:42
john e
Help! Proper Cleaning and Storage??
I have been very fortunate to acquire several Puma & Eye Brand Bowie/Skinners that were manufactured in the 60s and still New-In-Box. All are stag handles and the Pumas still have the hardness stickers (which I want to keep). I have coon-fingered these to death and would like to ensure they are properly cleaned and stored to preserve their condition for others long after I'm gone. One of the Eye Brand knives has a slight green tarnish on the handle pins (do I remove this?).
I am new to the blade world but quickly getting the fever.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Johne

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus
20 June 2015, 18:46
Jerry Fisk
John, the green tarnish is from the brass pin reacting. If you have a small amount of brass polish just hit it a lick.

To clean your blades and guards before they get bad rub them firmly with a piece of copy paper. Newspaper will do but I like copy paper best to remove finger prints.

My last polish on blades, stag and ivory before I send them out is done with a brown grocery sack which is a tad more abrasive than the copy paper.
Glad to see you taking care of the pieces.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com
20 June 2015, 22:16
john e
Thanks Jerry! Much appreciated.
johne

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus
29 June 2015, 19:34
Wes62
Good tip Jerry, I've always done this polish myself but I've always used coffee filters.
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
John, the green tarnish is from the brass pin reacting. If you have a small amount of brass polish just hit it a lick.

To clean your blades and guards before they get bad rub them firmly with a piece of copy paper. Newspaper will do but I like copy paper best to remove finger prints.

My last polish on blades, stag and ivory before I send them out is done with a brown grocery sack which is a tad more abrasive than the copy paper.
Glad to see you taking care of the pieces.

02 July 2015, 18:38
richj
I think Renaissance Wax is the norm for metal.