New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 154 Steel from Crucible
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried this new 154 Steel from Crucible? If so, how is it performing for you?

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Are you refering to 154 CM?
It`s been around for a few years now. The steel is the same as ATS 34 just American not asian smelted.
Benchmade and quite afew others are useing it. The steel is a very good one.
Here`s a steel referance guide.....
http://www.agrussell.com/knife_information/steel_guide/index.html

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I am referring to CPM 154, which is quite new actually.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CPM 154CM is the same chemistry as the 154CM but is made by Crucible's Powder Metallurgy method like S30V .That means the carbides are finer size and more uniformly distributed . Better properties , easier to make knives . I don't know if it's cost effective . Do a search on www.bladeforums.com to see comments by bladesmiths.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
I have several knives made out of CPM 154.
The steel is top draw, some experts say that S30V is better but that is hard to tell. The tempering makes the steel what it is in those classes. IMO

Here are some of my knives made of CPM 154

Cheers,

André

Airkat knives by Dwaine Carrillo

TOPS B.E.S.T. also in CPM 154

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffrey, all of your fine knives with the possible exception of the TOPS are 154 CM not CPM 154, nice knives though.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right. Big Grin
The TOPS B.E.S.T. is made of CM154-CRYO Rc 58-60 Heat Treated 2X.

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Andre excellent cobat knives and i dont know that you have a franchis spas ,ideal for hunting hogs and peccaries swat style as you said ,we miss you a lot warrior.Thanks for the photo with the patch of the argentina coast guard divers ,the prefectura naval ,they fougth in the falklands war .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

The SPAS 12 is my friends fro the first Golf war in 1990/91 given to him by the deserts rats.
Argentina has many goog SF and I will keep on using the patches for my pictures - in hounor of you Smiler

I will be back to hunt with you, Christian and Marcos. mgun gunsmile

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Warrior yes we have a lot of experienced sf some of them fougth in Nicaragua ,some in Angola ,and in another hot spots recently a friend returned from the foreing legion ,hes in the police now im teaching him rifle shooting ,we will visit the units when you came ,the most intersting thing about falklands sf is that they used weatherby rifles 300wby as snipers rifles ,i hope you teach us more knife figthing next time .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote