THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Pictures of your home made belt grinder

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of your home made belt grinder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anybody here make their own belt grinder.

Photos?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I investigated this seriously a couple of years ago because I have my students make knives in shop class. I wanted cheap, safe and easy to use. I found some plans on some knife site, but after buying steel, motor, pulleys and misc. parts, plus fab time I decided to buy the Grizzly. It has worked well. I made a jig to hold the blade at the same angle which really helps. Dan

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
anybody here make their own belt grinder.

Photos?

I'm in the process of making a KMG clone. Got my plans from here. Did make a few modification though.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24148558/Grinder-Plans

Bought my wheels and an already made platen assembly from Beaumont.

I must confess. I made a wood mock up first. Steel came today via UPS, so I guess I'll start on the final version.

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/grinder.html

I own a welder and I weld. So I guess mine will be welded together rather bolted.

http://www.speedymetals.com/default.aspx

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF,

Here is the wood mock-up of the grinder I'm building. I'll do the welding when the weather warms up. My welding set up is in the garage.

P.S. I had a 1/3 hp motor hooked up to this. It worked quite well for a wood mock up. I've no doubt the steel version will be great. As others have commented about this grinder....it is hell for stout!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don

As long as your are making up one, why not make up two! Big Grin Big Grin

That thing is a work of art.

Thank you my friend. Smiler

All my previous metal work was done with a torch and welder. I'm finding steel this thick much harder to drill and tap than wood. shocker

Two? I'm not sure I want to do one now? Frowner But alas, I'm too far along to stop now. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two, meaning one for you and one for me. Big Grin

Yeah,I got it. Big Grin I was trying to skirt the issue by letting you know wood is a helluva lot easier to work. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey 22WRF,

Have you seen this one yet? Big Grin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cold-Steel...D8154579775721204318

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures of the jig I made for the Grizzly grinder.http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww190/bitterrootdixie/nobelt.jpgR sideback Rmax angleback Langle adj. screwfront

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try to get the actual pics to show up here n ot the links.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some more.

pointing to angle adjustment screw

in use

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a bad looking outfit, 22WRF.

After going to the polar bear forge site, I noticed the cost of the kit, which requires a lot of work to finish.

Rob Frink's KMG grinder with a flat platten and all the work done is about the same price? $750.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that direct drive setup with the variable motor. wonder where to get one like that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like that direct drive setup with the variable motor. wonder where to get one like that.

You might ask the guy at polar bear forge?

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don

I like that table you have your rig set up on.
Can you get those at Home Depot, or where?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don

I like that table you have your rig set up on.
Can you get those at Home Depot, or where?

No, 22WRF. That's a "new" old stock item I got on ebay. Sears don't/won't sell them anymore and the new ones are nowhere near as good.

I jumped on that one right away. There just isn't much out there anymore!

Sorry,

Don