THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Need a good leather sheath maker please...

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a good leather sheath maker please...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Looking for a person who is good with leather as I have a few bowies,etc that could use a good sheath..Reasonable pricing and delivery is good too...Thanks! Daqridude@aol.com

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Here you go.

I do not think they will be cheap.

You could go to Bladeforums and probably find someone there as well.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Looking for a person who is good with leather as I have a few bowies,etc that could use a good sheath..Reasonable pricing and delivery is good too...Thanks! Daqridude@aol.com
I assist you with negative information. Avoid like a severe rash Dennis Kane in, I believe, Steamboat Springs, Colorado. I think his trade name is something like Catch Dreams. Chapter and verse on Mr. Kane is not something to include in a family forum.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Here is a sheath that I had made by Paul Long. pfl@cebridge.net

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
You might want to try Fred at Art Knives He has done a few for me and does nice work.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenny Rowe does a great job. I have several and his "pin loc" sheaths are what I prefer on my bigger blades. Check out rowesleather.com

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I'll second the recommendation of Kenny Row. Kenny and his son do nice work at a reasonable price and quick turnaround (at least that was my experience). I asked him to make a simple custom knife and multi-tool pancake style sheath and he delivered exactly what I wanted. It'll outlast me, I'm sure.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Kenny Rowe!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Kenny Rowe, made one for me and I love it.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the other hand --

With a few basic tools and a little online reading you can learn to make excellent custom leather sheaths (holsters and pouches too) with a few tools and some practice.

The stitching awl runs in the $10 range, lacing punch about the same. X-Acto Knife, and the ability to layout, cut out and stitch together a decent sheath, holster, pouch, belt, wallet, cell phone belt carrier comes along fairly easily.

Wet molding is not "rocket science." What takes a little practice is fitting a sheath to a specific knife. But a basic Bowie pattern should be easy.

I've made some pocket holsters and wet molded knife sheaths with only basic tools. It's a good skill to know, and gratifying hobby to learn.

Posts: 1005 | Location: A Little Bit Left of Karl Marx | Registered: 16 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Paul Long is my recommendation. I have the very first (original) of the African sheath pattern shown by Jeff Alexander, as that design was my suggestion to Paul when he went to design my sheath to go with my Carlton Evans' designed Tanzania Hunter. The other Paul Long knife sheaths that Jeff shows are also very nice. I have one of them that is designed by Paul, as well, to go with my Carlton Evans folding knife. Here is a picture of the original African sheath with my Carlton Evans knife: Here is the Carlton Evans folder with the Paul Long sheath: Both knife handles are Wooly Mammoth Ivory. Carlton and Paul are masters and do excellent work!

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Man, I love the look of that folder and the beautiful sheath.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It's a pleasure to own things that are created by very talented people like Carlton and Paul and that are as aesthetically pleasing as they are fully functional and useful.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a DVD made by Bob Loveless showing how he makes knives that also containes a very good section on how he makes his sheathes. I have watched it a number of times and it provides enough how to information such that anyone with some tools and a little determination could probably make a pretty serviceable sheath. If you do a search you could probably find out where you could purchase a copy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sullivan Holster Shop
Odessa, FL
727-376-3209

Sullivans made Randall Knife sheaths.

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:

I have heard of quality leather from Bob Schrap for years...http://customsheaths.com/index.html

I have never personally used his products. IMO, Jim Layton of Portsmouth, Ohio did great work, making sheaths for the late, great Corbet Sigman. I do have sheaths from Jim and they are simply superb. They still have that great smell after many years. I think Jim may be retired now though. Thank you.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote