Find
Notify
Tools

CRKT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted
I've recently found a knife that has really impressed me. It is the CRKT M16-14ZSF. It is a Kit Carson designed large locking folder tactical knife with double flanges that form a true hilt when open. Retail is $70 (street $40), which I consider a very reasonable price for a knife of this quality. At 6.3 oz., it is a hefty piece originally designed for combat.

I own many different knives, including both fixed and folding custom made Mackrill african knives and had sworn off buying any new knife many years ago; a commitment I have stuck to until now.

I would be interested in any comments by those familiar with this CRKT knife.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using the CRKT Point Guard designed by Crawford for over 13 years now. I like CRKT knives.

Posts: 2662 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I bought the knife and the longer it is in my possession the more I am convinced my initial observations were correct. This is a helluva knife for the money. I like fixed blade knives for survival/combat purposes, but I would have no heartburn if this was the only knife I had with me in a critical situation.

I guess we're the only two who have positive thoughts about CRKT knives. bewildered

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm a folder user day to day but ALWAYS go into the field with a fixed blade. The CRKT blades are good for what they are and I have none of my own to abuse so can't say a lot. I broke a Spyderco teaching my kids how to break down a stick to build a fire. I used a Cold Steel folder in the same way and didn't hurt it a bit. Having that experience though caused me to have less faith in the folders and rethink my tool for the job.

I now have a Tops mini-CQB? something-or-other neck knife that after some re-profiling I like a lot. I can abuse it and it holds a decent edge wich allows me to reserve a good field knife for game processing.

Glad your liking the CRKT knife. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been caring a CRKT Mirage for 11 yrs now.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
have had many CRKT knives over the years, good and bad. had 4 M16-02's over the course of a couple of years. had a bad habit of loosing them! good knives, but the steel on all of them seemed a tad soft. required frequent sharpening while cutting deer. Moved to a Russ Kromer designed Full Throttle, which i liked a lot, but the steel is pretty brittle. Chipped pretty easily, IMO. Now I'm carrying a Ken Onion designed Ripple and am SUPER happy with it. the IKBS is astounding, and i've had no issues with the blade chipping, while retaining a great edge!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote