Notify
Tools

Who are the top knife makers...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
nobody seems to be mentioning bob loveless.

Bob's a classic and so are his knives. But I still think D'Alton Holder is the best knifemaker alive today!

http://www.knifeart.com/mykndhohukn.html

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when he was alive Bob Ogg, he was a crazy old fart but a hell of a knife maker.

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerber makes the one I like the best.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, My first custom was by Virgil England, a skinner. That was in about 1978 before be became the famous fantasy knife maker. I have 2 left that Paul Zinsmeister made for me before he passed away. I have one of Joe Kious knife and would like one of our forum members,Bailey Bradshaw, knives.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote goes to Dozier. Not a display piece, but an incredible tool. After 18 months of waiting, I just received (2) Dozier custom drop points--for me and my Dad. For a working, hunting knife they are as good as it gets. PURE function over form.
I ordered my 1st Dozier from AG Russell 15 yrs ago primarily to clean Nilgai. I have probably 40 hunting knives and know and understand steel. When I got the knife, I was impressed with the quality of craftsmanship but there was really nothing that stood out as "impressive". Then I used it and came to understand what an exceptional knife it is. I know have 3 Doziers. You can get a Yukon skinner or Buffalo river hunter from AG Russell w/o the wait for $200-$250. ONE CAVEAT. Dozier's steel is VERY HARD so you better know how to sharpen a knife properly!

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I'll be a bit contrarian--

not that I do not respect , Loveless, Randall, Dozier, Cook, Crain, etc, etc, etc-

I have to go with Mike's knives (Texas City)

dollar for dollar for a hunter he does great work.

( I'll live to regret this as his prices will most certainly rise)

Also, Tommy Gann deserves a mention.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cheshire
posted Hide Post
Bailey Bradshaw hands down. He is also making a 22hornet double rifle from damascus steel he forged himself. He has knofe of the year for Sporting Clasics (a two knife set) His knoves are far from cheap but are works of usable works of art.

“The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, hearing the old ones wail, to see those who love him shrouded in tears, and to gather into your bosom his wives and daughters, while riding his gelding.”
Genghis Khan

Posts: 174 | Location: Saratoga, Wyoming | Registered: 28 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I like custom knives, even more if they are from damascus steel... here VdS are hard to beat !

http://s332.photobucket.com/al...xto-presentacion.jpg

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the knives of Rod Chappell. Very expensive but like they say, "you get what you pay for".

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most "Guild" and "ABS" members make great stuff as far as customs go.

My favorites:

Lloyd McConnell
Weldon Whitley
John Weever
Bailey Bradshaw
Jason Knight
Chris Reeve
Bobby Branton

High end Production knives:

Chris Reeve
Randall
Simonich (deceased, but still out there for sale) R.I.P Rob!!!
Strider

Over the counter production:

Cold Steel ( pure utility & a ton of knife for the &&)
Benchmade (a real standout for the $$ almost custom quality)
Case XX
Boker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike Mann of Idaho Knife Works makes a quality Knife.Ive had one of his Cliff Knives for a few years. tu2

Posts: 714 | Location: CT | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend considering Randy Lee of Saint Johns, Arizona.

http://www.randyleeknives.com/

His drop point hunter series of knives are excellent.

Posts: 89 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can pay practically any price for a knife of practically any design. Like PT Barnum said, "there's one born every minute", but much above about $300, you're paying for the maker's reputation, the quality of his work, etc which have almost nothing to do with the cutting and using ability of the knife. Don't misunderstand me, I like and own many expensive knives, but I understand that I'm just collecting pieces of art. 99% of the really expensive knives NEVER get used for anything except maybe cutting paper one time. Why, because to use them would significantly hurt their value. The bottom line is, it's the steel, the temper, and the sharpening angles combined with, to some lesser extent, the blade shape (within reason for it's intended use, for instance,no one expects a scapel to be a military style fighting knife), and handle quality that really determine how good a knife is. Again, AT LEAST 90% plus of the people who use knives don't know what combination works best for what they're doing or why. For instance, the famed Dozier D2 steel knives (and I'm not picking on Dozier, great knives) cut and maintain a very nice edge but the steel is no longer anywhere near the best. That doesn't really matter, since D2 is certainly sufficient for a good knife, but if you want the best steel, then D2 is now second tier, BUT it is close enough that the average user won't know the difference or need the difference. D'alton Holder touted above (he makes beautiful knives BTW) uses ATS34 steel, again, not bad, but not top of the line anymore. So, you're paying over a $1000, usually, for a very nicely made and finished knife with steel that is inferior to what you can get in a $50-$100 Spyderco and many other commercial brands. Like I said, when you pay that much money, you're usually buying the quality of workmanship and a name to a large extent.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a site that has a very good discussion of steel, etc. It is a bit dated but generally still holds true today.

blade steels

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
I just received last week a Randall Model 5 Camp and Trail 5" that I ordered for my son back in 2005. I have a Model 7 Fisherman-Hunter that I carry a lot and have 4 more on order; 2 more Model 5s for my other two boys and a Model 8 Trout and Bird and a Model 23 Gamemaster for me. I love the Randalls but the only downside is the wait to get them, it's now almost 6 years.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I've carried and used many knives on numerous "outings" on four continents. I built shelters in jungles, deserts, mountains, and swamps; carved up all sorts of beasts from deer mice to deer; made traps, pounded nails, cut firewood, hacked ropes and cords, sliced tape, and dug holes. After several years I settled on carrying three different types of knives on every trip to the wilds. The three types I found the most useful FOR ME were:

1. Any good Victorinox Swiss Army knife with a saw blade and an awl.
2. A light knife with a thin fixed or lockable folding blade of about 3-1/2".
3. A solid Randall fixed blade knife with a stainless steel blade . I found that a 7-1/2" blade was the maximum length to be practicable and a little shorter is better.

I've owned several Randall knives myself and I've given a few away as gifts. My favorites are the model 15, the model 22, and the Model 25 (all three are 3/16" to 1/4" thick). I carried a Model 14 for a couple of years but I found it too big and heavy. I replaced it with a Model 16.

I recommend against a serrated top blade on any fixed blade knife. I've seen too many of several brands break in half where the teeth weakened the blade. The saw blade on the Swiss Army knife will cut quicker and with less effort than you can cut wood with the back of any fixed blade knife.

If I was to recommend "the best" all around hunting/survival/general purpose knife I would recommend the Randall Model 22. It is virtually indestructible but is easy carrying and not too heavy. It also has a raised "beak" at the end of the handle so it doesn't slip out of your hand. Mine has a very gnarly stag handle. I've used mine to hack tinder from "lighter knots", cut rope, cut fishing line and cardboard, clean fish, skin and gut deer (and one ibex), and more.

If you order a Randall you have to wait years but you can order directly from one of the several authorized Randall knife dealers that keep the knives in stock. Ebay is another place to find the knives. Many people order Randall knives and use them little or not at all (safe queens?) so you can usually find a bargain buying one second hand on eBay. Look for ones with a big S (for stainless) on the blade.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
I just received last week a Randall Model 5 Camp and Trail 5" that I ordered for my son back in 2005. I have a Model 7 Fisherman-Hunter that I carry a lot and have 4 more on order; 2 more Model 5s for my other two boys and a Model 8 Trout and Bird and a Model 23 Gamemaster for me. I love the Randalls but the only downside is the wait to get them, it's now almost 6 years.

Mate, I hear your passion for Randall knives, but a 6 year wait, you have the patience of Jobe (or whoever that dope was).

After that time I would have forgotten what the hell I had ordered and what I wanted it for.

I have a lot of knives, 80+, I tend to buy them on impulse, generally when looking for something else, some say it is a fetish, I think addiction is a better description. beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randalls are readily available everyday in new, ununsed condition for a relatively small amount over what you can order one for with no wait. They are good, but a long ways from great knives. Reputation far exceeds quality. For instance I just bought a new Randall 12-9 Bowie stag handle for my collection for $574 delivered, I'm not sure what they sell for from Randall without looking it up but that's cheap enough. Depending on what your requirements are, there are many truly custom made knives that are better and cheaper, especially on the aftermarket.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
A hunter friend, beeing a knife nut, was very impressed by his newest toy.
But I think more in the sense of innovation and price/quality level.

http://www.linder.de/index.rsg...b655d9823e7534909567

Posts: 438 | Location: Germany | Registered: 15 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Franz Becker still making knives in Germany?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Another good knife maker is Chris Reeve. I have a nice fixed blade knife from him but it is a little longer than I need. I plan on ordering another one that is a couple of inches shorter.

Here is a link to the fixed blade knives.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/pffixed.htm

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of those rare AR threads with a subject that I actually know something about. I started collecting custom knives in 1982.

The earlier suggestion of Knifemaker's Guild members is a very good one. Hard to miss. If it's going to be a "using" knife, go Damascus.

I do not know if Doc Hagen is still alive, or at work (he was a dentist in real life). Marvelous stuff.

In factory, probably Gerber. Nothing wrong with plain old Case, either.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Since most of the posters on this thread have no clue what constitutes a "CUSTOM" knife, I'll recommend a top quality factory knife.

http://www.knifesupply.com/esh...sp?ProductCode=FNNL5

I can see most of the posters don't know what constitutes quality either?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's going to be a "using" knife, go Damascus.

I'm not aware of any tests which show what is currently called "damascus" to be the equal of, or superior to, the best tempered modern steels, whether stock removed or forged. Again, it depends to a great extent on blade shape and temper as well as the steel.

The "wootz" steel (which is as close to real damascus steel as you're going to get today) made by Al Pendray MIGHT be as good or better than most modern steels but I'm not aware of any repeatable tests to prove it. While he is still alive and still making blades (I think, not sure of the latter), the fact that his larger blades start in the $2000 range doesn't lend them to wide ranges of use or tests. Be aware that there are some blades coming out of Russia, mostly being sold on ebay, that call themselves "wootz" as well. I don't know anything about them, but I'd have my doubts.

While generally considered to NOT be the best modern steel, Busse's INFI (a modern non-damascus steel) has run some witnessed tests that are amazing (cutting a one inch manilla rope over 2000 times and still shaving, for instance).

In addition, the blade cutting competitors (which are equally amazing in themselves), don't use damascus at all to my knowledge. The current most favorite steel is probably M4, apparently because it holds an edge well while allowing very thin blade geometry which allows for good cutting.

I'm not "dissing" damascus, it is beautiful and a knife made from quality damascus will certainly be up to most user's standards, but it is NOT the best choice for a using knife, unless you score it for beauty, which, of course, is part of the reason for buying a custom knife.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not know if Doc Hagen is still alive, or at work (he was a dentist in real life). Marvelous stuff.

AFA I know he is still alive, and making mostly or completely folders, both slip joint and autos, they seem to run between about $500 and $1000. Here is a site that has a good selection of his knives and a fair slice of other customs........custom knives......(you'll have to click on his name on lower left or on the new selection he has which is in the middle)

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed custom knives by Carlton Evans, W.C. (Bill) Davis and Arno Bernard. Arno's last custom knife for me had mammoth ivory handles, a full tang damascus blade, and meteorite bolsters. One of a kind in my book. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Gene Ingram, Charles May, and Bob Dozier knifes for the past 5-6 years. They have all been either D2 or S30V. All have been great knifes with no flaws. For a using knife I think they rank in the top...

JCM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCM:
I've used Gene Ingram, Charles May, and Bob Dozier knifes for the past 5-6 years. They have all been either D2 or S30V. All have been great knifes with no flaws. For a using knife I think they rank in the top...

JCM

All three are great knife makers! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin Knives from here in Texas should be on this list. They build some great, tough knives, and well finsihed knives. The Martin's don't have the bling of a Jay Fisher knife but they are quite good looking to my eye.. I dont have any interest in the company other than I am a customer. They build some tacticals too but I have less interest in those. The guys know knives, knife making and knife makers.

http://www.martinknives.com/

I think the S30V as the original is drying up though.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Roger Bergh,

www.rogerbergh.com

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remain an unabashed Ingram Slut.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrUREasy:
David, I have used Randall knives for over 30 years and have had excellent results with them - edge holding is second to none. Although there are hundreds of top quality knife makers in the world today, I will stick with Randalls. Good luck with your choice.

Randall is a pretty nice knife. First saw one in my friend's collection in high school, circa 1965. It cost him about $100 -- which was a fortune then.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
Check out the knives of Rod Chappell. Very expensive but like they say, "you get what you pay for".

This is one where I couldn't agree more. Once you have a Chappel, everything else pales. Of course, your personal tastes may vary.

Two Chappels above, inexpensive production knife below shown for comparison rotflmo. Chappels are Chief Joseph (Small skinner with TiN coated blade) and Night Raven Dagger.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Gene Ingram for a fixed blade.
Fred Durio for a custom folder.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ironwood on my well used Scott Cook cracked to the point you could feel it with your dragged a finger nail across the scale. Scott said to send it in for him to look at and a few weeks later a rescaled knife arrived with new matching scales of beautiful ironwood. Mostly you read disclaimers by makers about natural materials used in knives, can you say "Customer Service".

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fiddleback forge knives maybe the best hunting/bushcraft knives for the money.You can find them @ bladeforums makers section.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Benchmade....dependable, reasonable, sharp....I prefer folders tu2 knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you want a truly beautiful, custom knife of the highest quality, go with S.R. Johnson (Steven R. Johnson) in Manti, Utah. Be prepared to wait, maybe a couple years, but it'll be sooo worth it.

Posts: 12 | Location: Central Utah | Registered: 26 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yeti:
Loveless is alive but I don't think he's making many knives these days. A couple of his proteges are doing really well, Steve Johnson being one of them. www.srjknives.com

The legendary makers are slowly going off into the sunset as the years pass. One of my favorites Rod Chappel managed to acquire a few of my dollars over the years:

Brings a whole new meaning to Crocodile Dundees immortal words don't it!

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty Polk of Fort Smith, Arkansas and newt Livesay, Wicked Knife Co., Siloam Springs, Arkansas make all of mine. I've known them both for longer than I care to admit and they make quality blades. There are a lot of great knife makers out there, these are just the two that I know and have experience with.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote