New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are the top knife makers...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who are the top knife makers one should consider when looking for high quality hunting and outdoor knives?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A full week and not one response....

Maybe my question was to open ended?

Hopefully a bit more info will prompt those with
experience to help me out.

I am looking for high quality knive(s) designed for the hunter.

I knife makers I am looking at are Randall, Ruana, Grohmann, Patton & Scott Cook.

Who am I missing from that list?

Any recommendations you could make would be appreciated.

http://www.randallknives.com/

http://www.ruanaknives.com/default.asp?content=main

http://www.grohmannknives.com/index2.html

http://www.pattonknives.com./

http://www.scottcookknives.com/

Regards,
Dave

[ 10-10-2003, 17:01: Message edited by: DavidC ]

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I ain't no expert on knives, but I often read the knive forums. It appears to be some knife makers are good builders, but you pay for this because of their name on the knife. I think many of AG Russell's knifes are as good, and include some of the best blades.

I am interested in who replies back that are knowledgeable in this area. Your list of the knife makers seem about what I know though.

Thanks.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Knives of Alaska make some nice knives. Looking at the shape of the blades, they are designed for work, not just to look pretty on the cover of Blade.

Honestly, I think that there are many more good knives on the market then bad, and if you're willing to spend a few dollars, you should be happy with the results. So long as you stay with a good steel, properly hardened you'll have a fine knife. The only problem I've seen with some makers is they don't grind the blade down thin enough at the edge. If you have a bluff edge, no matter how sharp you make it, it won't cut well. I'm not talking about the angle of the edge itself, but the supporting steel behind the edge.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe few have answered because it's a big list. What type of knife, for what purpose ,working knife ,fancy knife,type of steel etc. You might start out with a list from the American Bladesmith Society of their Journeyman Smiths and Master Smiths.You can design your own knife and find someone to make it .There is a knife show coming up in NYC ,if you go there you could see the work and talk to the smiths.

posted Hide Post
Go to www.bladeforums.com and do a search on BOB DOZIER. You won't be disappointed with a Dozier knife of any description. Here's a stag handled Dozier K4 Straight Hunter. Check Dozier's website for more knives that may fit your needs.
 -

Posts: 12 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mete,

I want a well designed high quality hunting knife. It will be used on all types on N. American game from deer to moose, caribou, bear elk etc...

Nothing fancy just a tough well made well balanced working knives. The kind of knives you can pass on to your children.

As far as steel grades go I have no idea what to use. I am not interested in stainless.

GC,

That Dozier knife is a real beauty!!

Thanks,
Dave

posted Hide Post
David,
There are many excellent knife makers who ply their craft. They produce some exceptional blades. Some are too pretty for me to use and I made a decision that I wanted high quality materials along with the design that makes a knife able to work long, and, do so comfortably. Combine this with real handcrafted work and you have something to be proud of that will serve for a long time with a modicum of care. Bob Dozier (my favorite!), Scott Cook (second fav), Neil Blackwood, Geno Denning, along with a few others make the kind of knife I'm referring to. For a true working knife I think Micarta handles are about as good as it gets. Micarta has a grainy pattern that can be attractive. It can be had in various colors. And when left with a "textured" finish gives decent grip when working wet. Micarta shrugs off oils, salts, blood, solvents, cold, and all except oven temperatures. It's tough stuff able to handle some knocks. Natural materials such as true Stag, Bone, Antler material, various exotic woods, are certainly pretty. They require more care and simply aren't as tough as Micarta.

Pretty leather tooled sheaths such as a Kenny Rowe, or one from Case Makers of Idaho add class to a knife. However, IMHO, they aren't as good as Kydex for a working sheath. Kydex is like Micarta (with the exception of heat-won't take as much heat before being affected). Shrugs off moisture, blood, solvents, salts, ect... To clean simply rinse out and let dry. If you're in a hurry, wipe dry! Kydex is super secure, the knife literally snaps in place.
Leather can't do that. It molds, mildews, loosens with age, requires security snaps/straps, and is more difficult to clean.

As to blade steels. There are some real dandy steels available today. CPMS30V, ATS-34, 154CM, VG-10, BG-42, Talonite, Stellite, 440C, are good "stainless", or low maintenance blade materials. I like and prefer carbon steels such as D2, 52100, M2, 1095, O1, A1, ect...

Take a hard look at a Dozier knife with D2 steel. Or a Scott Cook with S30V. Do some research on either of these two. I think you could look a long time and not find better working kinves. All this of course, IMHO. [Smile]

Posts: 12 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
What about Europe classic, PUMA ?

http://www.pumaknives.de/

Or Fallkniven from Sweden

http://www.fallkniven.com/

Or just something like this (knives from knife maker in Pilsen (I study here))
 -

http://www.pok-knives.com/fr_noze_1.php
http://www.pok-knives.com/fr_news.php

[ 10-14-2003, 10:40: Message edited by: Jiri ]

Posts: 2072 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GC,

Thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated. I am a real rube in the area of custom knives. [Smile]

Looks like we are on the same page as far as form and function goes. I plan on sticking with the carbon steel blade type. I'll have to do some reasearch on the advantages & disadvantages of the different carbon steel types.

I love the Scott Cook knife with the iron wood handle on another thread. I also love Randall's # 23 & 26 and that Dozier knife you posted is a real beauty.

I think in the next few weeks I'll probably be ordering more than one knife.....

Regards,
Dave

<allen day>
posted
Dave, if you want a high-quality sheath knife that has great ergonomics, a high-quality sheath, a superb edge, etc., I don't know of a better knife than Scott Cook's.

I'm also a long-time Randall fan, with a particular love for the Model 3 5", the Model 23 Gamemaster, and the Model 26 Pathfinder.

The Randall's don't come with much of an edge as-delivered, but the steel is superb and once properly sharpened they'll hold their own with anything. A BC guide once used my Model 26 to skin a 7'6" mountain grizzly I collected, with no blade touch-up at all, and the knife was STILL sharp when the job was done!

One other option if you're interested in a folder is the Chris Reeve Sebenza. This is another high-quality knife with a superb blade and a superb locking system, but the standard-issue Sebenza is a very plain looking setup. This can be dramatically changed if you special order this knife with an inlaid wood handle, and a number of wood options are available.

I carried a Sebenza with an inlaid burl maple handle to Namibia one year, and everyone who examined and handled this knife (guides and clients) fell in love with it.

This is fun stuff, isn't it!?

AD

[ 10-16-2003, 17:38: Message edited by: allen day ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
allen,

This is great fun!!!

The more I learn about knives and all the options I have the more fun it becomes. I particularly appreciate the great designs and the top of the line craftsmanships that these knives embody.

I think I am going to order a Randall(s). They are currently 40 plus months out from delivery so I want to get my order in soon. I am having a real hard time choosing though. I can't decide between the #23 & #26.

Then there is Scott Cook's knife...

It's a tough call.....

Regards,
Dave

[ 10-18-2003, 01:59: Message edited by: DavidC ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
DavidC
you can go to my website at fisk-knives.com and find several guys that are really good. Just go to the links button. There are a lot of others I can reccomend. Just depends if you want a good knife or to also have it as an investment.
Lots of knives and so little time.

Posts: 33 | Location: Arkansas USA | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two excellent knife makers here in Montana.
West of the Continental devide is Ruana, and East of it is Caffrey. Both are of excellent quality.

www.caffreyknives.net

[ 12-05-2003, 10:22: Message edited by: packrat ]

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DavidC, you mentioned Dick Patton Knives. I have a couple of his knives, and the regular 3 3/4" drop point hunter is as good as they get. I've used mine on elk, deer, and black bear, and it stays sharp! Plus, it is very well balanced. I really like carrying that knife!

Ruana?? My old Ruana (27 years)is without a doubt, an excellent knife, both for field and camp. Talk about a knife that stays sharp after use on big game!! Rudy Ruana was one of the best knifemakers, and his company is now run by his inlaws. I know several people who use them here in Idaho, and swear by them.

I've not used Scott Cook's knives, but have certainly admired them here at the Sportsman's Show, in Boise, were Scott has had a table. Mighty fine looking pieces!

Have fun! Any of the above will do you just fine out in the field.

L.W.

[ 10-30-2003, 05:32: Message edited by: Leanwolf ]

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David, I have used Randall knives for over 30 years and have had excellent results with them - edge holding is second to none. Although there are hundreds of top quality knife makers in the world today, I will stick with Randalls. Good luck with your choice.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Hunting knives.

Made as a tool.

I chip mine on bone, drop them on rocks, use them as a screwdrivers in an emergency and fight grizzly bears with them from time to time.

I use to spend good money on fancy knives just to loose them long after damaging them so now I stick to knives that I can afford to loose and break.

My last couple have been Kershaw. You can get these babies sharp but they dull quickly because of the soft steel. Bucks a decent cheap brand too.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<swede7>
posted
I got a Spyderco Tim Wegner folder a few yrs ago and it has done nothing but impress me. It's taken the place of my Bucks and Gerbers and left nothing wanting. Blade is 3 5/8", ATS-34 steel(if that means anything to you, easy to get sharp and stays that way a good length of time. The blade is a plain edge drop point, not the typical Spyder serrated and I just love the thing. They make a smaller version w/a 2 7/8" blade that's my everyday knife. I'm not sure it's in production anymore but it can be found on the web. It also was Alaska F&G's knife of choice for their personnel which gives it a better recommendation than I ever could. But those customs suuuuure do tempt me...

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
I use a Dave Kauffman knife and really like his. He is out of Montana.

As far as makers go, I'd have to say D'Holder ranks at the top of my list. Love the drop point and balance of his blades.

Brad

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank Pummill or Lee Fergusan. Both in Arkansas and of better value, construction, edge and cost less than Randall or most others mentioned. Both will build any type that you desire and both have been at it many years.

Posts: 30 | Location: ar | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite has always been Roderick C. Chappel:

-

But then what do I know.

D. [Smile]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still carry my Camillus. It's a bit too big for all around hunting knife work, but when it comes time to open a can, make shims out of beer cans, pry paint cans open, etc. there is absolutely no substitute.

My little knife is a Smith and Wesson "Special Ops" folder. It clips right onto the side of my M9 holster, so whether I have my "battle rattle" on or not, it is always there.

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa, dammit! | Registered: 09 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My favorite is SOG. When I head out into the field I am carrying three of their knives: Bowie, Tigershark, and the X-42 Field.

http://www.sogknives.com

Cheers,

Carl

Posts: 7 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the forged blades, either a Fisk, Crowell without a doubt one of the sharpest knives you will ever find or Roger Massey. I havent owned a Walker but have heard good things about his knives.

Posts: 44 | Location: Texas | Registered: 13 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So how long have you worked for sog New Pig Hunter?

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote by DMCI:
quote:
My personal favorite has always been Roderick C. Chappel
What does one do with a knife like that except look at it? It doesn't look useful for anything at all.

I've got it,it's a $2000 pig sticker. You buy pork at the supermarket. WOW. [Big Grin]

OOPs ,sorry,I'd bet you people don't eat pork. [Wink]

[ 12-01-2003, 02:45: Message edited by: small fish ]

Posts: 1408 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by small fish:
OOPs ,sorry,I'd bet you people don't eat pork. [Wink]

Well, first off that isn't my knife, this one is, and I do eat meat, which brings us to the answer to your question.

While hunting for moose on the north end of the Alaska Peninsula, my Dad managed to knock down a nice one. The guide was assisting him in taking the big animal apart when they managed to break his knife quartering the animal. I handed them my big skinner and they had no further problems.

One of the gentlemen in the party offered me a thousand dollars for the piece that evening at camp. Well, I still have it and I actually dislike puny knives.

The blade is 5/16 thick 440C at Rc59. Before the knife was in final assembly, I got the Fellows Corporation to coat the blade with Titanium Nitride, hence the gold color. Handle is Rosewood and the Hilt and Pommel are 416 stainless steel. [Big Grin]

-

PS: By the way, how are things at the home these days. are you getting enough rest? **

** Sorry folks, couldn't resist that one. [Big Grin]

[ 12-04-2003, 18:23: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dozier, Wayne Hendrix, George Herron, not in that order.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.cavemanengineering.com/catalog.html

http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/

While Geno and Charles make excellent using knives, D'Alton Holder is, in my humble opinion, the best there is right now.

http://www.knifeart.com/mykndhohukn.html

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i assume that you want a custom made knife,but if money is a consideration,you can't go wrong with RAT cutlery now ESEE knives or kabar's ethan becker series of knives. i personally have a 9" becker bk9 and a becker necker. the becker necker has a 3" blade and is good for most anything but the bk-9 is for around camp use. i highly recommend both.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poppycarroll:
i assume that you want a custom made knife,but if money is a consideration,you can't go wrong with RAT cutlery now ESEE knives or kabar's ethan becker series of knives. i personally have a 9" becker bk9 and a becker necker. the becker necker has a 3" blade and is good for most anything but the bk-9 is for around camp use. i highly recommend both.

I thought he said "high quality"? Seems we might have a difference of opinion on what that actually means? stir

Have you ever seen a "high quality" knife?
Look at this one! http://www.knifeart.com/mykndhohukn.html

horse

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Production Knives; Cold Steel particular Recon Scout Model in San Mai (Made in Japan) katana sword steel, with Kraton handle, clip point medium size bowie others; Christ Reeves Knives, TOPS knives, Randall Knives, Buck Knives, Some Puma Models (Made in Germany (NOT in Spain)...BladeSmiths...to many for a list.....
First define the use, then if You looking for a custom made or production, the size, the steel, point type (drop, clip,spear point) handle material. Good Luck Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:
Production Knives; Cold Steel particular Recon Scout Model in San Mai (Made in Japan) katana sword steel, with Kraton handle, clip point medium size bowie others; Christ Reeves Knives, TOPS knives, Randall Knives, Buck Knives, Some Puma Models (Made in Germany (NOT in Spain)...BladeSmiths...to many for a list.....
First define the use, then if You looking for a custom made or production, the size, the steel, point type (drop, clip,spear point) handle material. Good Luck Guille

Right on, Guillermo! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we had a fella in our hunting camp who had one of the premium custom knife maker's products. to make a long story short,he sat down somewhere on the mountain and lost that perfect
custom made blade. just about made the rest of the hunt intolerable with his moaning. as for me, i want a knife that is not irreplaceable if lost.

however i can appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of the upper crust knife-just don't want to wear the knew off or lose it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nobody seems to be mentioning bob loveless.

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
nobody seems to be mentioning bob loveless.

Yes a true legend !!! , is still alive? or there are a company/familly or Sons working under his name, beautyfull knives...G

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loveless is alive but I don't think he's making many knives these days. A couple of his proteges are doing really well, Steve Johnson being one of them. www.srjknives.com

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Wow, a thread back from the dead -- back from 2003...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, a thread back from the dead -- back from 2003...

Thats what I was thinking.... Smiler

Dave

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Virginia Blade: www.vablade.com

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote