Find
Notify
Tools

Nisi HSS knifes
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted
I ordered yesterday 2 knifeblades from Olav Nisi , one 8 cm and one 12 cm lenght, they cost less than 30 dollars apiece and are famous for sharpness and toughness , and he can make custom blades also .

http://www.nisi.no/images/kniv-flat.jpg

http://www.nisi.no/

go on kniver , there you see more,

He made his own knife steel since he was a gunsmith at the Norwegian arsenal turning out various rifles and customizing Mauser stocks, so he needed somethin sharp and durable to help him in the work.

Put out ideas on what you think is good knife making tips, i have never made a knife before..

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would have been nice if that were written in english.I've never had a knife of M2 HSS though it's certainly a very wear resistant steel and should be able to cut up a moose or two !.His knives are the traditional Scandinavian design which are gracefull and practical, what I was raised on !! Do I understand your question ? You have purchased a finished blade and want to put a handle on it ? That's not a big project . I would recommend stabilized wood [impregnated with acrylic ] which is very practicle .No problem getting it wet etc.My latest one is a Helle laminated stainless steel blade with stabilized hard maple burl.I assume that the blade has a tapered tang so you would have to drill a hole in the wood, epoxy the blade into it ,then shape the handle.There are knifemaking forums and books and videos available. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
He is a former gunsmith on Kongsberg weaponfactory and he has delivered quality products for many years. So why not knifeblades, that and ammo are the things required for an hunt.

I have an outfitter frined who has hunted many times in Afrika and he has some warthog tooth and impala horn laying around. I think he also has some buffalo hide that is atanned also laying around.

I will also get an finger guard for the blade as i prefer them and its a fine feature. I was thinking in terms of the PHC knife in some what look after the project is done, the fall or winter.

Helle is good blades, but a time the quality control was absent there, for me Brusletto "Hunter" is one of the finest blades designed.

They have also the Strømeng Same knife millitary edtion with finger guard and blackened blade which i have the long 8 inch and the short 5 inch version of . they are designed for practical uses. Although the "Søring " stamp is on them '

(Søring is a nick name the Same and other inhabitants up north give the people dowwn south, like Rednecks, only the Rednecks are up north here...... dancing)

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a nice blade. All I got was pictures of one knife with what looks like a maple handle when I clicked on the link. I'd like to buy one or two of his blades if I could figure out how and the costs to the US is reasonable.

The big blades that some people carry (not counting military or hog hunters) are ridiculous when it comes to ordinary sporting use. A 2 1/2 to 4 inch blade will do it all for hunting use IMO.

I just bought a Helle Harding off of an auction site for less than $30 including shipping. Knife blade was absolutely new, but it looked like someone's lab (?) puppy had chewed on the handle and the sheath. Not really bad and since I've got labs and have had puppies, I kind of enjoy thinking about the previous owner's pleasure at seeing his pet and his knife...... Roll Eyes.....I sure hope he didn't punish the pup. At any rate, I've got many more knives than I can use but I'll try the Helle out in a month or so when deer season opens up. Seemed to sharpen up well on a Spyderco Sharpmaker.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Per, a clarification. HHS is a family of steels and almost all have tunsten. He mentions M2 which has tungsten but his composition doesn't mention it .The HSS that comes closest to his is our M10.Which would be better for knives anyway...You have a good supplier for knife making material over there www.brisa.fi I guess the conversion rate is still the same as when I was a kid ~ 7 kroner = $ 1 !! My first knife was a Helle, which I still have.My grandmother visited her family just after the war and brought it back. I was only 5 , a bit young for a knife ,but I grew up fast !! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I saved the page you laid out there, they had many fine items, and i`m going to style it abit african in apperance with warthog and Impala horn , perhaps some more, and i think some African leather for sheeth.

The dollar course is ca 5.90 NOK per dollar so its unfortuantely cheap to buy from Statedside and ship things over here over here .

I havent made knifes before so its an cheap way to get something done about that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete:

To pick your brains if I may, a local guy has been making knives out of, I believe, pieces of military helicopter blades for many years. I haven't tried one but, naturally, he claims they're incredibly sharp and stay that way. Do you know anything about the metallurgy of chopper blades?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chopper blades ??? Even in Viet Nam days the Huey blades were very interesting and they progressed during the war from 6" to 12" wide.No welding or riveting only adhesives ! The core was aluminum honeycomb ,the outside aluminum and the leading edge IIRC was brass.The only possibility is if I'm wrong about the leading edge .If it were steel there's a possibility...Ask the question in the 'Aviation' secton

one of us
posted Hide Post
mete:

Hmmmm, I'll try to get more information, but as a matter of fact, I asked my source, who is a close friend of the maker and mine, again yesterday, and he said, "Yep, chopper blades." Could it be tail rotors or are they composites as well? I know zip about helicopters.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
My knowledge comes from a visit to the Huey factory in TX about 1970.You want light weight of course so it couldn't be all steel but the leading edge could be.A leading edge sees lots of erosion from water droplets and severe erosion from sandy areas like Iraq.

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
I ogt the blades this weekend, now its to order some handle material and other goodoes for the blades, they could have been a bit wider like an skinner knife or the PHC damach balde in style, but i`m making something out of it. total price 55 dollars including, posting and packing.