Find
Notify
Tools

Who's the "Go to guy" for folders????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

It seems that Gene Ingram and Charles May are the "Go to guys" for fixed blade knives; who are the "Go to guys" for folders?

I like folders, especially ones that follow a "heavy trapper" pattern.

Thanks in advance.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Kershaw....blur... thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
For pure utility this might be a good choice:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/sta...=cat20891&hasJS=true

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same thing. My dad is a fan of folders, and his old Gerber is about worn out from repeated use and sharpening (not much blade left). I was considering a nice custom folder to replace it on his 60th birthday, which isn't too far off.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Forget custom....look to Kershaw. Their after buying service is unbeatable. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of accrash
posted Hide Post
Check out this guys work. The people I know that have his knives rave about them. In custom knife
circles, he seems to be "The Go-To Guy.

Todd Davidson Knives

Posts: 55 | Location: WNY | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink:

Nice knife to mention. I don't care for the saw/guthook feature on that particular model, but I have ordered several of the Cabela's AG serires 110s with S30V and given them as gifts. They are superb albeit a bit heavy. It is a real bargain for using folder IMO.

That Alpha looks like a good knife, I'm ordering one today. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS:

30 Cal Mag Fan:

I admire both men's knives, and would buy more of their knives in a second, but Gene Ingram and Charles May are NOT the "go to" guys for fixed blade custom knives. I'm not sure there is one or two "go tos", as a custom knife is as much about customer preference as it is true utility, but there are so many more extremely competent makers out there than just those two. Dozier is just one more easy choice that readily comes to mind and is still reasonably priced. David Winston is another that makes knives very similar to Ingram and May. And I'm sure there are dozens more that could be named.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I daily carry a SOG folder ,but DUANE DIETER designs are very good too.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a number of fine folder makers. Daryl Ralph is among the very best ... is pricey but superb!

http://www.darrelralph.com/1mainframe.htm

Many of the better folder designs have been made for public consumption by Bench Made and are quite reasonable compared to the customs their designers make.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
high$=Carlton Evans, low$=Benchmade

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try Allen Elishewitz.
http://elishewitzknives.com/default.asp
Mine is SMOOOOOOTH and tight.
Thanks, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a Benchmade. Have had several and gave one to my PH on my last hunt.

I carried a McBurnette all over the world for fifteen years, but since Harvey died, they've gone off the scale, so I relegated it to the safe and carry a benchmade.

It's a Ritter design, S30V, and really holds an edge. Comes out very quickly in the event of an emergency. Not a bad knife at all, and prices go from reasonable to ridiculous.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
A Dozier folder would be a good choice for a using folder. He is also known as Doctor D2 due to his knives holding a superior edge. His Ht is done in-house.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying a Kershaw with a pocket clip for several years. I really like that method. It rides in my back pocket, I don't know it's there until I reach for it.

I have wanted a Damascus blade folder for years. Every DSC or gun show I went to, I browsed the tables. Lots of beautiful knives, lots of money.

I browsed Kershaw's site and found a damascus bladed folder and I bought it. I really like the assisted blade opening and it taken it's place in my right hip pocket! Right knife, right price for me.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Spyderco makes the best commercial folders if you care about performance/price ratio.

If you want something commercial and strong you may look to Zero Tolerance folders.

If you want something better for material and finish you may look for a Chris Reeve Sebenza.

Starting from there you enter the custom folder world and choice may depend more on what you like.

I would suggest RJ Martin and Rick Hinderer knives.

Posts: 23 | Location: Italy | Registered: 18 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30 Caliber Mag Fan:
Friends-

It seems that Gene Ingram and Charles May are the "Go to guys" for fixed blade knives

I would check Busse Combat knives !

Posts: 23 | Location: Italy | Registered: 18 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For everyday, hard-use carry, I'd suggest a CRKT that fits your hand and cutting purposes. I have several and rotate them depending upon anticipated use. Haven't worn one out yet. some can be tightened after considerable use.
For a higher end, and super-durable knife, call Northwoods Knives (906) 789-1420 and ask for Dave. He is currently making Scagel folders in their original patterns. These knives "walk and talk" with the best. Damn good looking too.
Google Northwoods Knives and you should hit their website.
Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote