New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a fast spring assist knife
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a quick spring assist or dual spring assist/switchblade knife for general use.
What would you recommend?

Posts: 10117 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Auto made by Jim Minnick. It will darn near flip itself out of your hand if your not paying attnetion. He will make them as plain or fancy as you wish.
Doug

http://www.classicgunsandknive...roducts.php?cat=1083

http://www.knifeart.com/customknives.html

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Protech!
Their big knifes open with real force, better hang on. I have a bunch and they are awesome. I also have one of their assisted openers and I use it for about everything.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am looking for a quick spring assist or dual spring assist/switchblade knife for general use.

I can't help with a spring assist rec since I don't own any, but I'd probably go that route if I were you since I believe it is illegal to carry (but not to own) switchblades in OK. Also with some limited exceptions it is Federally illegal to ship any switchblade across state lines. This law is basically ignored by buyers and sellers but it is something to keep in mind for say, postal insurance reasons.

Real using switchblades come in basically 2 varieties, manufactured and custom. Many manufactured can be had in the $100 to $200 range. Most customs start well above that, depending on decoration, intended use (collector or user?) etc.

Among many others J. W. Harkins makes fine custom double actions. The Pardees make some nice ones that are reasonably priced by custom standards. Doc Hagen makes some nice ones as well. You might check out http://customknifegallery.com/ckgc_home.html and click the assisted/flipper tab on the left side just to get an idea. There are many other sellers out there, or, if you have the time, you can have one custom made to your ideas/specs. Knifepurveyor.com has some very nice knives and the owner is a good man to work with. Addictive hobby, be careful. Wink

Finally, and I'm not trying to rain on your parade because switchblades are way cool and fun to play with, but it you're really going to be using the knife daily you might consider one of the Spydercos in a size that fits your needs. They are one handed openers, nearly as fast as ass. openers because you can open them as you take them out in the dark, without trying to find a button, etc. mostly completely legal depending on blade length, your state etc. and don't get clogged up nearly as easily with dirt, pocket debris, meat fragments, etc as ass. openers or switchblades do. Again, you want what you want, and I completely understand that, I'm just throwing this in there as something to think about.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had real good luck with the Ken Onion designed knives by Kershaw. Light and thin with decent edge holding for an inexpensive everyday using knife. I prefer the "leak" model and put a strip of skateboard or non-slip safety tape on the non clip side for added traction.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I also like the Leek. It IS very thin, has a blade lock and pocketclip.

or

not exactly daily user: Charlie Dake DA

Posts: 6371 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the Benchmade assisted openers. I have a few assisted openers but my 2 go to blades are a Benchmade 672 Apparition and if I want something a little dressier a 670 Apparition. Both have been through a couple Iraq deployments and served me very well.

I have owned assisted openers by Kershaw, CRKT, and a few others and the only ones I feel have been worth keeping are the Benchmade.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leek and love it.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

I really like the Boker Top Lock auto's. I have an acquaintance that upgrades the springs for them. With the upgrade spring you have to have a good grip or it will jump out of your hand. I particularly like the heft and feel of the knife in my hand. The scales are a hard sticky rubber, something like the texture of a Hogue overmoulded stock. No problem of "slippery when wet".
I have carried the one with the rose colored scales daily since the summer of '03. I think I am on my third sheath. I have rental properties and do all my own A/C, plumbing, electrical and appliance repair. I can't tell you how handy it is to be able to reach with one hand, grab this knife and press the button. I've cut wire and skinned deer and hogs with it. I bet I use it sometimes 50 times a day. If I ever lost it, it would be like losing one of my kids.

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
GW

Love those toplocks. These are quite old.

Posts: 6371 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SOG Flash Tanto serrated for assisted opening
or SOG Trident for non assist. Durable and razor sharp. Flash may not be as fast as some but very smooth and locks securely. Also has a
pocket lock that is very easy to release.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a pocket knife instead of a custom stealth tactical skydiving self defense sword-like combat knife, I carry a SOG Aegis. It is a handy one-handed knife for everyday chores.

No, it is not a superhero throwing knife that can go around corners, fly over tall building or attain world peace, but it's good enough.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19296 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EDC

Leek x2
( S30V & D2/stainless lam )

Posts: 493 | Registered: 01 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my experience the Kershaw Speedsafe knives are the best. Right now I'm carrying a simple 3" blade with a black textured handle. I can't remember the name. The only problem I have is the pocket clips, which I always remove, but they leave screw holes that pick up pocket lint.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Kershaws Designed by Ken Onion.

Not to big and not to small and they work on deer sized game if you intend that.

Excellent knife in my book I prefer the Blackout model.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3067 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
I have a Kershaw Rogue and a Lone Wolf Harsey D2, and love them both. The Kershaw was a little over $100 & the D2 was about $250.
Also, I believe that fed law allows shipping interstate to dealers, but not via U.S. mail. You can then legally order from a dealer in your state, and he won't ship it in the mail.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
I have to retract my endorsement of the Kershaw Rogue. The spring on mine broke. I called Kershaw, and they agreed to send a new spring to the dealer (can't send it to me), and then the dealer will ship it to me. I liked the knife so much, I ordered another to use in the meantime.
The new knife has a MUCH weaker spring. Anemic.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW,
an update from my earlier post of yesteryear. I still have my Boker Top Lock. I've employed it in my own best self interests since 2003. I'm pretty much retired now. Among other duties, it has opened at least two Negra Modelo's a day for several years now by wedging the blade between my right hand and the bottle cap. First time, every time. I'm gonna tell my kids to bury me with that knife, just in case I'm in need of a cool one.

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
FWIW,
an update from my earlier post of yesteryear. I still have my Boker Top Lock. I've employed it in my own best self interests since 2003. I'm pretty much retired now. Among other duties, it has opened at least two Negra Modelo's a day for several years now by wedging the blade between my right hand and the bottle cap. First time, every time. I'm gonna tell my kids to bury me with that knife, just in case I'm in need of a cool one.

Best

GWB

Now that is a knife someone could come to love.

Mike

Posts: 21125 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kershaw Blur with a laminated D2 blade. Breat knife for the $.

God, guns, & guts made us free. Let's keep all three!

Posts: 169 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll chime in, first time posting though! Lurker Smiler
For me, another vote for the Leek. Mainly for its smaller size, but I'm not chopping any wood with it!
And it fits anywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using a SOG FlashII, for everyday carry since I retired in 2006. It was given to me by a good buddy as a retirement present.

I use it a lot and like it well. So well in fact thet my same buddy gave me a second a few weeks ago, this time with a half-serated blade for an overseas trip I have comming up.

These knives are lightweight for their blade size and they hold a good edge. I have gut and skint a few deer and pigs with mine and cut the tails off of a few elephants with it.

They are an assisted opener.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Are these any good?

http://www.bladeplay.com/item-...nchmade-Tumult--6796

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When storing an assisted opening knife, should you have it open or closed to keep the spring strong? I have a Benchmade that is getting a little weak.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just replace the springs on my Boker Top Lock when it's time.

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm gonna tell my kids to bury me with that knife, just in case I'm in need of a cool one.

Good call.
I predict that where you're headed, you'll definatly be looking for a cool one. Wink

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at a SOG Twitch, started with your finger instead of your thumb.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Kershaw Tremor. It's very good, great price and opens scary fast!

3 3/4" blade, Textured G-10 handle, liner lock

You can find them for 28 bucks on Amazon

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have carried a bench made automatic for the last 4 or 5 years and it is a very good utility knife. When I was in Prague a couple of months ago, I bought a pair of Mikov automatics and they are slick. Very nice, available with bone, stag or nice wood handles. My assisted opener is a kershaw.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Other than the gimmick of an auto knife what real advantages are there?
My observations...
DANGEROUS!!! In your pocket.
You can't hold it well during opening. Likely to drop it upon occasion.
Murphy's law.
Don't get me wrong, I am a knife guy but the disadvantages seem to outweigh the "Advantages"

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomy

out here on the ranch , almost daily I will be holding something and need to access my knife--one hand opening is just super.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I open my knives one handed with a thumb stud or thumb hole or a flick of my wrist.
I like the thumb hole best.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out one of the Benchmade Subrosa. Good knife.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kershaw Tremor, Leek and other Safe openers by Ken Onion. They are reliable and cheap. If you lose one you don't agonize about it. They hold an edge pretty well and it's so easy to touch up the blades with the little carbide sharpeners.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Microtech LUDT, this is a nice automatic knife.
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedub,opening a beer bottle or any bottle for that matter with my edge really grates on me like nails on a slate.Not my knife so I have no say.Knew a fellow a few years back that used his teeth + that bothered me less.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You don't have to use the edge, you can simply use the hilt or bottom of knife without the blade open. I do it quite often with my Spyderco. It does kind of damage the edge of the plastic compound handle but hey, some things have to be sacrificed for the greater good. Wink I learned the trick about 50 years ago watching Mexican bird boys open beers and cokes with shotgun shells. Same principal, you just put the bottom edge of the shells hooked under the cap, using the edge of your thumb or first finger as a fulcrum, pull down, and wa laa another cool one.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote