Notify
Tools

Making a knife
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I have started a knife project that I will be doing this summer.

I gave the one side a satin finish just to see what the steel would look like with this option. This is only grit 400 finish , the final will be 800 or maybe 1200.
I am not sure aboyt handle but I have some very nice Muskos Ox brisk from Greenland that might work out well.

Can any one guess what knife blank I am using?
I will tell you this much:

Stock is 5/16" thick
Blade is 20 cm (Blade only)

Looks like this:

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery,

5/16" is a bit thick for a 7.87" knife blade. I'd have started with 1/4" probably.

The blade will need a strong distal taper and a tapered tang in order to not feel brutish.

I nice finish starts to show at 600 with 1200 being much better. Gets progressively better with 2000 and 2500. Not much gain beyond that.

Happy sanding.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Please post more pictures as you progress.

You still need to find me one of those fancy stones! Big Grin

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The knife has a full flat grind and is from the old style Cold steel stock. This blade was made for the Recon Scout satin Carbon V. Back in the days when they just cut the tip of the Trailmaster blank. This knife blank is awesome and I look very much forward to working with it.

I will properly go with the 1200 satin finish. Wink Finer would be like mirror polish almost. That is to easy. Big Grin

Charles the big stone (10"X3"X1") is a Pink Translucent Novaculite Arkansas stone. Try to find one of those in that size Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Charles the big stone (10"X3"X1") is a Pink Translucent Novaculite Arkansas stone. Try to find one of those in that size Big Grin

Cheers,

André

I think I saw one but it was $$$$$. Eeker

Still looking for the cool patterned stone. Razzer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Charles

The Cool patern stone is finer then the Translucent Eeker It is a natural stone. But I do not know from where.

Get a Arkansas Black stone they are affordable in large sizes get a 10"x3" that will work wonders on the large knives, and small ones to.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Andre,

Thanks -- I passed on a couple of nice natural stones but will keep my eyes open.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So fare so good.
Today I will shape the tip with oil sanding paper grit 120 and start on the satin finish. clap

I call this knife "Recon Steel Hart" Wink

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
It's getting there. Good work. beer

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I hope you will test the knife here with a boar a collared peccary or a lipped peccary.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote