New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dozier Vs Ingram
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First of all let me say that both make fine knives. My preferences may be different than somebody elses. But since I finally got my first Ingram, I of course wanted to compare it to my normal favorites from Dozier.
Here's a picture of the two knives, a Ingram #12 Drop Point (actually it's a prototype out of 3/32nds stock and slightly longer), and a Dozier Yukon Pro skinner:

I have a somewhat wide hand with short fingers and I find that the Dozier fits my hand somewhat better than the Ingram:

Someone with smaller hands might find the Ingram a better fit.

I also prefered the more contoured shape of the Dozer handle. The Ingram felt slightly "blocky" in my hand:

Again someone with less chunky hands might prefer the squarer profile of the Ingram.

As far as sheaths go I much prefer the Dozer's Kydex. Doziers Kydex sheath won't rot, hold moisture or cut easily. I also thought that the belt strap of the Ingram sheath was a little thin:

On the plus side of the Ingram is the leather strap. I really like the way it's adjustable with the bead and is a lot classier that the normal Paracord I usually put on my Dozier's.
The Dozier is Hollow ground vs the Ingram's Flat grind, I would think that the Ingram would stand up to more abuse and be a little stronger, the Dozier will be better at pure cutting.
Neither knife has a tapered tang. I wish both did, it would make them balance better.
The Steel in both is D2. Dozier is legendary for his heat treating and performance level in D2 knives. I'll assume that Ingram is equally competant so neither knife has an advantage here.
The Ingram has slightly more decoration with red inserts between the scales and the blade. I don't particularly care for them but some might like red contrasting with green scales.
The Ingram has about a $30 price advantage. The Ingram was $175 delivered, and AG Russell lists the Yukon Pro Hunter for $205 and you may have to add for shipping.
So in conclusion both are nice knives. I prefer the Dozier for the better fit in my hand and to me the kydex sheath justifies the higher price. The Ingram is an awfully nice knife though and maybe after I skin a 1/2 dozen animals with it like I have the Dozier my opinions might vary..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DJ
I do think you need to check your spelling on this one!!! you missed one! homer
clap
Razzer

You can't kill them setting on the couch.

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
A have a friend who dotes on S30V blades from Ingram, and one of these day's I'll order one.

That's the tough part about knives though, the actual ergonomics are only figured out after you've hand one long enough to use.

Aesthetically I like the blade on the Ingram and the handle on the Dozier.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRDATOR:
DJ
I do think you need to check your spelling on this one!!! you missed one! homer
clap
Razzer

I must have loaned my spell checker to you......or not..... Razzer

Maybe it's one of those things I keep leaving in your truck!............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL lol

Posts: 413 | Location: Roamin' the U.S. for Uncle Sam. | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djpaintles,

Thanks for the comparison between the Ingram & Dosier.

I have 3 of Gene's knives and just ordered 2 more, so I guess I like them.

Gene will make a kydex sheath for any of his knives. When I order I request both a leather & kydex sheath (the additional cost is ~$15-25). I'm sure Gene could/would make you a kydex sheath for your knive, too.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, I have several Ingrams and a couple of Doziers as well, I haven't discerned the differences quite as well as you, but I really like the flat grind on Gene's stuff.

Do you suppose Gene would taper a tang for you if you asked? That's an option that won't be available on a 'production' Dozier.

I have skinned 3 whitetails with one of my Ingrams and just hit it on the crocksticks in the field during the second one--still pretty sharp, but won't shave you....

Take Care--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, If you are talking about the Doziers that are for sale at AG Russels yes you will not get a tapeperd tang but if you order one that way you will GET it that way!!!! Wink and pay for it to.

I have had several knives with D2 and other wonder steels but none of them would hold up like a Dozier! Big Grin I now have 12 of them.
Ulike DJ ( my good friend) who thinks the Ingram will hold up to the Dozier I dont know so The Ingram will have to prove its self to me.
And they may do just that but till then I have # 13 on order.
I also hav no idea why you would want a flat grind insted of a hollow or convex grind. The flat grind will just keep geting wider every time you sharpen it.
just my 2c

DJ you did a wonderfull job on posting this thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prdator, I have more Doziers than Ingrams right now, and most do have a tapered tang actually. I think you're right about the 'production' AG Russell etc. knives.

The flat grind is something that many makers have taught me to prefer. I'm not sure what you mean about it getting wider, still thinking on that one.... At any rate, all of my favorite blades have a flat grind. Maybe I need to read up some more to figure out what the differences would be in the flat vs hollow you pointed out.

I really like both makers, My number one favorite sheath knife I own is a Dozier/Lone Wolf with curly maple handles--flat grind refined and applied by a local maker for me...

Do you know if Bob will build a one of a kind from your design? Gene looked at a design I have had done by a few makers, and said the curves in the blade were to different from his standard for him to do, and the knife has front and rear bolsters as well. It's a pretty straight forward design really--I'll try and post a picture of the one Ron Goddard did for me.

Regards--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don,
glad to know another Dozier nut!
What I mean by geting wider is as you sharpen the knife the part of the edge that you sharpen will get wider, the farther you go up the taper the thicker it gets ( wider) so as you sharpen it the thikness of the blade wil increse.
I had a talk to Bob ( dozier) about this and it is one reason that he caries a hollow grind.

I have a patern that Daniel his step son is making for me now. So I think he would as long as it looks good. Call him 1-888-823-0023 or go to http://www.dozierknives.com.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Prdator, that's a good idea, I've been procrastinating calling Bob and sending out my drawings.
I have a couple of folders that he did for me a long time ago, and would like to have another set done with different handle materials, the 2 I have are a blackish micarta. Would love some with stag!

Take Care--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I was at Bob's shop he had a ton of stag but as of right now I don't know if he will make any stage or folders but it cant hurt to call!! YOU should see his shop its not like I thought it would be much smaller but has every thing you need and then some! He showed me part of his knife stash and it was unbeliable!!!!!!!!!!
good luck
S