Notify
Tools

Cold steel Trail Master
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

I just returned from Argentina where I was hunting with Juan Pozzi.
We hunted wild boars and hogs with knife and Dogo Argentinos. I was using a Cold Steel Trail master 10 inch knife and that knife kicks ass.
The rubber grip is great when you get your hands all bloody, and I did !
The 10 inch blade is long enough to reach the hart when you stab behind the shoulder.
And after killing two boars the knife could still shave the hair of my arms Wink

GET ONE FAST you never know when you fel the urge to go hunting with Juan Pozzi Big Grin

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
andre please explain some hunting techniques and some cobat techniques ,i dsaw you marvelous dexterity with your cold steel. gentlemen wants the techniques.juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Trailmaster it really does Kick Ass!!

Hunting its not a Hobby its My Way of Life!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a trailmaster for many years now.

A good heavy duty knife. Cold steel make good knifes at a good price.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trailmaster kicks ass for production knives - it has become a classic!

The Stag handeled models are really classy!

JW

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
ANDRE DID YOU SEE THE CAMILLUS HOG HUNTER I SAW IT IN THE LAST BOAR HUNTER MAGAZINE GOO DESIGN.JUAN

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

I do not know that Camillius knife ? Only the Fisk Bowie knives from the OVB series.

I have some very spacial Cold steels coming my way. I will post pictures of the knives when I get them. They are unique one of a kind.

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffery do you know anyone who has used one of the Chris Reeve one piece knives for pigs.The 9" blad e model would probably be excellent >

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris Reeves knives are grteat but many of them does not have a safe guard and when stabbibg hard you may get injured.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Andre,the new camillus hog hunter is designed by becker,it hasnt safe guard but i think is a good desing it has a spear point and a big grip of plastic,of course nothing is better than the kraton of cold steel knives,i personally prefer cold stell above all others for hog hunting and i do this professionally ,,you are a proessional trainer and now an experienced boar hunter and you agree with me so itsnt coincidence cold steel are perfect fror the task.this week ill be testing cold steel spear.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
JAEGER IM READING YOUR SELOUS SCOUTS BOOK .INVESTIGATING IN HE PAST I READ ABOUT A SELOUS SCOUT AND EX SAS SCOTT DONELAN WHO IS TEACHING TRACKING IN USA HES BOOKS AND TEACHINGS CAN BE USEFULL FOR HUNTERS ,DID YOU READ ABOUT HIM .JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffrey and Juan, would you mind describing your hunt for the wild boar.
Do you use dogs to bring the hogs to bay and then move in to stab them for the kill?
Are the hogs killed exclusively with a knife or are you putting down wounded ones also?
How often are people injured hunting this way?
How do you carry the knife during the hunt?.............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
In this forum wilpork ,eyedoc ,RonL and others can said something about this game a very dangerous game indeed,the dogs catch the hog and its killed by knife only ,Andre is an expert in martial arts and knives but he was charged fall in the water in a very dangerous situation he killed 5 hogs one at nigth in a corn firld without ligth Steve Thorsen aka wilpork hunted here two years and he killed several hogs too i killed hundreds of buffalos but hog hunting with knife is my favorite.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

Check out these modified Cold steel knives by Master Knifemaker Ron Clark. Handle is black Micarta 'Commando' style handle like on Randall knife. Ron also swedged the blade, sharpening the upper edge, and bead blasted it.
They are unique and one of a kind.
I placed them next to my stock version Trailmaster and Recon scout.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
very nice knives but original cold steel are just perfects and the kraton handle is superb with blood in your hands ,YOU KNOW THAT.Steve gave me a wonderful cold steel spear boar hunter,i practiced kobudo a lot so i know how to work with it but i consider it too dangerous for dogs so its only for xpert clients.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
makes me want to pack my trailmaster more often

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
oh...and good onya for REAL hunting thumb

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
WHEN YOU HAVE THE HANDS WITH BLOOD NOTHING IS BETTER THAN A KRATON HANDLE ANDRE KNOWS THAT BECAUSE HE KILLED A HOG WITH THE 500 JEFFERY THEN ANOTHER WITH KIFE IN THE WATER THEN WAS CHARGED FELL IN THE WATER AND WITH BLOOD AND MUD IN HIS HANS KILLED ANOTHER.JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
WHAT YOU PREFER ANDRE FOR HOG HUNTING THE REVVERSE GRIP I USE SOMETIMES JUST TO TRAIN IT OR THE COMMON FORWARD GRIP .JUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

Sorry for not posting in a while.
I like the normal grip the most but like reverse grip with some knives like the Rekat or Tracker. Those knives where made to be used with that grip (also with normal grip)
Reverse grip is not good with a large knife like the Trailmester it is also to heavy for that style.
Reverse grip is good with a folder or a dagger where the weight of the knife does not interfere with the grip and movement of the knife.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
where are you my friend we all miss your post articles and photos,we have been testing yararas knives with afrikaner very good steel but in one model ill change the point he will post photos soon he broke one of the bowies points thats why i dont like them.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

I am online but busy with law school. So I am not posting so much.
A bowie knife is not as good as a drop point. Trailmaster is king.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
we know that Marcos has mailed you too but the cat was killed by my son he only destroyed it with the 375hyh to the disgust of my son.juan did you see the photo didnt you.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jæger

I have seen the photos from Marcos.
If I did not respond to him tell hm that I will shortly.
I have some knives that will arrive next week if gGod and customs will.

They are both Boar hunting knives and I will post pictures.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
we are hunting in the north of the country huge hogs collared pecary and lipped peccary ,totally untouched area only indias hunt there il tell about this later.Ideal place for spear and knife hunting.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jægers

Here are some pictures of my Randall #12-9 "Bowie" with a model 14 attack 9" grind (blade)

The #14 grind is very much like the grind og the Cold Steel Trailmaster. But the blade is a little lighter only .25" stock is used.
The blade is strong enough IMO. Big Grin

The stag handle is massive on this one and the downward grip is ideal for stabing down on beasts that are low to the ground, like boars. The texture of the stag is furthermore vey good in weet and bloody situations and gives you a good grip.

A good knife for boar hunting

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Excelent photos but we are waiting more combat and hog hunting articles,do you have photos of the knives you used in Africa ,what knives used Douglas your ph .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan

When I was in africa I used a Puma White hunter.
Douglas used a Gerber folder and some local made knives.

This is a picture of me having a coke, note the Puma White hunter.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Andre did you use your knives there i believe that not so much like in Argentina ,ja,ja ...is the ph in the photo Douglas ,please post more photos of africa guns ,knives evrything .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan

The ,man to my right is Martin from Denmark whom I hunted with.
Only picture of Douglas Cox is this from his web site. The pictures of Doug and me is taken with my 35mm camera and not digital.

Doug is the man to the right.

PS I did not use my knife much in Africa but I never hunt without a fixed blade or a large folder. When you are in the bush it is nice to have some basic survival items and the knife is on the top five list.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Can you post the web site of Douglas.i never hunt without a knife and a gerber tool .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan

This is the site from Secretarius safaries:
http://website.lineone.net/~sec1/

Doug works for other landowners and safari outfitters and I don't know if this site is updated.

http://www.marricksafari.com/hunting.htm

Trevor from Marrick safari will help you and can tell you where Doughlas is.

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I believe ill like to hunt with him ,because you like his manner of guiding .Did you see PETER BEAUCHOP knives in SA .Ibelieve a lot of members of battalion 32 used his knives .Where can i buy books of battalion 32.juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen

More pictures of Cold Steel Trailmaster.
This is a San Mai steel version with a stainless steel guard.
This version has a rolled edge and not a grinded one. This feature is way cool.
San Mai is corbon steel centre and Stainless steel sides, like a sandwich. Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I just received my Cold Steel R1 Military Classic-SKU 14R1J (CS copy of the Randall #1) won on Ebay. It has a San Mai III blade! I thought the CS R1s were AUS 8A, but this one is blade marked San Mai III (it does have definite demarkation line running lenthwise). A quick call to CS confirmed that the new Japanese R1s are San Mai III and are just hitting the market.

My understanding is that CS San Mai III blades have a hardened AUS 8A (higher carbon) center with 420J sides (lower carbon), hence all stainless.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I have a good collection of cold steel items from cheap south african kukries to spears and knives all are very good and i use them daily in the field .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Moran who has done so much for custom knife making has died. His influence in this field is tremendous and he will be missed !!.....[ I didn't start a new thread as I would have liked since this stupid forum permits me to start a new thread in some sections but not others and I can reply on some but only instant reply on others . No ,I don't believe it's my computor otherwise all sections would be the same]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mete

I got this sad message this morning Frowner
I liked the warner Moran Bowie design very much.
Bill Was one of a kind... R.I.P.

These are pictures of my rare Cold steel Intruder Trailmaster #318 of 500 made.
Black Micarta handle and black stainless blkade with rolled edge like the San Mai version.

Enjoy

Cheers,

André

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
André, does the rolled edge mean you have to use special sharpening methods? Can you just stick your Warthog sharpener on 30° and let rip or do you have to strop or other methods?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink
I have not worn a rolled edge down yet. Only resharpened on a 800 grit stone. The design on the rolled edge sems stronger then a grinded one IMO.
I would emagine that if the edge had to be reworked I would have to use a lower grit and make a normal edge.

Cheers,

André