Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone like Cocobolo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted
Here's another Semi-Skinner. This time I used Cocobolo as the handle material. I ground this blade very thin and out of curiosity about its cutting ability, decided to sharpen it before making its sheath (The last task I usually perform is sharpening the knife because I don't like cutting myself!). I just cut through a piece of 8-9 oz. leather with it and it was like I was cutting a piece of paper! Now, I just have to be careful as I finish this one up.

This knife will be available upon completion.

Thanks for looking,

Lee
http://baumgarthandmadeknives.blogspot.com/
baumgartknives@gmail.com

Posts: 570 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 28 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love cocobolo and your prices are usually very reasonable, actually too reasonable, but that's your choice. I'll take it if it is priced in line with your other examples. Please PM me with cost and payment details.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you wish to make another, with a tweek, let me know.
Amities, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
since you asked........

now and then, sure do.!

JAFO,

GWB

PS: Do like semi-skinners. Especially for caping. That looks to be a fine blade. What is the steel?

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like it,but it sure does make you sneeze when sanding. incidentally, the stuff is toxic to inhale

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
My intention was to post this knife in the classified section when the sheath was completed, but it sold prior to that happening.

Geedubya,

I am currently using O1.

butchloc,

You are right, some people are extremely sensitive to Cocobloo dust. Knowing that, I always wear a respirator when machine sanding it. The wood that really bothers me and got me to start wearing a respirator is Thuya burl. I decided really quickly (within a minute) that I don't like feeling like I can't breath! Our lungs were designed for breathing clean air, not steel or wood dust.

If anyone is interested, here is a link to the Wood Database toxicity chart http://www.wood-database.com/w...ergies-and-toxicity/

Lee
baumgartknives@gmail.com

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice knife Lee! tu2 I have three of Lee's knives and the fourth that Lee made for me was given away as a gift to Cecil Fredi who supplied the last round of some beautiful Tiger Myrtle for a couple of the knives. By the way Lee, Cecil loves the knife and said he was going to make very good use of it! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun,

Thank you for your comment. I thoroughly enjoyed making your knives and working with the beautiful wood Cecil provided. I am glad he likes his knife and hopes he gets a lot of use out of it.

Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Baumgart,
I looked on your blogspot for a way to contact you but I guess I'm too old to spot your email address.
I'd love to correspond with you about handle options on your semi-skinner.
Sincerely,
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never mind. I found your email.
Sorry,
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought this knife from Lee. I have used it to mostly field dress, cape (on one deer), and cut up 2 deer in the last couple of days and it has held up very well. Handles well and cuts extremely well.

I bought it mostly for the handle material but it is a fine knife, through and through, and a pleasure to use.

OTOH, I have reinforced my opinion that I like a "standard" point on a knife and find the lack of penetrating power of this design to not be my preference.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OTOH, I have reinforced my opinion that I like a "standard" point on a knife and find the lack of penetrating power of this design to not be my preference.[/QUOTE]

OTOH, this is a semi-skinner knife.
I too like a pointed knife for all around work but this should serve the purpose for which it was designed.
I'm glad to hear you liked it. I commissioned Lee to build one for me as well. Maybe he'll post a pic on this thread when it's completed.
Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

homer And, to repeat, using this design has reinforced my opinion that it is not best for field dressing and skinning big game FOR ME. If you like and it works for you, suits the hell out of me.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful knife.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

homer And, to repeat, using this design has reinforced my opinion that it is not best for field dressing and skinning big game FOR ME. If you like and it works for you, suits the hell out of me.

Sounds fair to me and thanks for the clarification about the 'field dressing' part which I obviously missed in you original post. My error!
Yep, a more pointed knife would serve that purpose better for me as well...as stated in my post too.
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Lee Baumgart
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I appreciate your comments.

I understand the limitations of the Semi-Skinner design as an "all around" knife and offset that by carrying an additional knife.

To that end, I started a new thread titled, "How many knives do you carry in the field?" because I am curious what knife or combination of knives (and type) most of you carry.

Thanks,
Lee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one more that followed me home recently.......

The "Rib Tickler", 154 CM, Cocobolo scales.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote