Find
Notify
Tools

Waidmesser fur Schalenwild
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen:

Was recently gifted this beauty and am not really sure what I have here. I'd like to clean it up a bit but don't want to risk scratching any metal surfaces or harming the stag handle. Any suggestions/insights on cleaning solvents, materials and/or potential value would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice Puma Waidmesser. Hard to say the age without seeing the other side, knowing whether there is a serial number, etc. Sheath looks to be in pretty good shape and looks original, but again no close-ups of markings. I just sold one that was from the 1950's and in similar condition with a not so nice sheath for about $200 including shipping on one of the auction sites.

One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
That's "PATINA" and you don't want to "clean it up." Just leave it be! It's an attribute of an old blade, which can't be produced commercially. It could very well be part of the original finish on the blade too. It's perfect! Just take care of it, keep it oiled, and don't try to "fix" what ain't broke.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With Quote