Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

skinner
 Login/Join

posted
I am interested in a skinning knife for large game (elk, bear etc.). What are your sugestions as far as blade material, shape, and maker?

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Custom or factory?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Undecided at this point.

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
That makes it very hard to make a recommendation. What did you want to spend? There are larger factory skinners and unlimited varieties of custom blades. I have not skinned bear or elk -- do you need a larger blade, more belly? What exactly are you looking for in a design?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Since I have never skinned a bear or an elk, but know next to nothing about knives, I feel compelled to recommend the Alaskan Guide knives.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/pro...ross_akgdknives.html

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have decided on a Dozier K-2. I think it will answer well. Thanks for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rcm,
I don't think you can go wrong with a Dozier Knife in D-2 steel. Dozier makes premium knives that are functional as well as works of art. I skin anywhere from 20 to 40 animals (deer, anteloupe and hogs) a year. My current favorite skining knife is a Knives of Alaska Yukon belt knife in D-2 steel. However, I usually use three to four different implements when skinning. I've included a pix of several of the knives I use. The gerber ez zip gut hook is great for opening up the skin on the front and rear legs, stomach, and brisket, and you don't have to worry about knicking your knuckles like you would on a wyoming knife. The puma skinner is solingen stainles at 104 RC and runs a close second to the koa belt knife for pure skinning. The puma skinner and the cold steel master hunter in Carbon V are heavy enough to grab with two hands and cut through the brisket. You can use a battery operated sawsall with a wood cutting blade to cut through the brisket,pelvis and along the backbone to separate the ribs. Invest in a hone steel or a diamond sharpener and give the knives a couple of strokes to keep them sharp while you're working
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mstarling makes custom knives. I use them and it is a super knife as well. Been to his place even. He hangs out here quite a bit. give him a holler and tell him what you want. He also uses them himself!
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Try giveing this guy a call. He makes great knifes and is reasonable in price.

http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/View_Menu.asp

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote