Find
Notify
Tools

Randall Knives
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted
Anybody out there using a Randall No 1 knife? I am looking at buying either an older Puma White hunter or a Randall #1. Was looking for someback from anybody using either of them.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I just acquired an older Puma White Hunter. Unfortunately, I haven't used it for anything yet so I don't know if I can be of much help in terms of information about field use. I can tell that it is too big, and not balanced, for any fine skinning work but probably OK for a pachyderm or for most of the major work on a large antelope. I suppose a good skinner (as in not me) can make do with just about anything that's sharp. I bought it more as a collectible than for any specific use.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
For general hunting I recommend the model 5 with 4" blade or the model 26. Both about the perfect sizes

#1 is way too big as stated by wink.

Great knives though.....

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Randall #1 7" carbon steel blade in like new cond if your interested.
Had a whitehunter great hunting knife handles are hard on the hand after a couple hours use.

Gary

Posts: 44 | Location: portland Or | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
The Randall #1 is a fighting knife and would net be great as a hunting knife.
Puma is old school and would work better IMO as hunting and camp knife.

This is a Randall #1-8
If you want a cool Randall knife get a #19-5 Wink

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
To all, thanks for the feedback. It sort of supports my thoughts on these. I don't need any new knife have many Buck,Blackjack,Gerber,Kershaw,Puma, Kabar etctaht all work, but like many things we like rifles,shotguns, handguns we are always in search of a solution to a problem we really don't have. Jeffery, I went to the Randall site and when I looked up your recomendation it looks exactly my Blackjack Trail Guide knife. I spend a lot of time exploring , four wheeling, hunting and the California has very doverse wilderness from the Mohave desert to the eastern sierra mountains. From below sea level to over 12000 ft. Most of the sheath knives I have are 3-5" blade lengths, have a marine kabar, blackjack AWACS, and a kershaw bowie that have longer blades and this is my thinking regarding the Puma white hunter which has always fascinated me. Anyway thanks for the feedback and will always welcome more. I bet we could all sit around a fire and talk each other to death beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah, Andre. How have you been? I have the #1 and a #25 would love a #19 but would be satisfied with a leather handled Trail Guide. I keep looking but with no luck. I did get a leather handled BJ 1-7 that is in the mail and can't wait to get my hands on that. I take my #1 camping but this knife will be my new carry till I get a Trail Guide.

Cheers.

Big John aka Mod 12

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can get you a Model 19 !!! Eeker

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I had the money and the time. I want a user, too. My #25 should be fine but it seems like I always want one more.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A knife fix just don't last long these days.

Cheers,

André

One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Your right I think buying/swapping guns / knives is a short term "hit on the crack pipe". So that being said maybe I need another fix. How do you compare the Randall 19 to the Blackjack trail guide? Is their a signifcant leap ( beyond name recogntion) in knife performance?

one of us
posted Hide Post
KWard
If you like the blade design of the Model 1 take a look at the model No 5. It is the hunting version of the No1. I have one and like it a lot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How long is your model 5? 5, 7, or8"

The half guard on the model 5 makes the knive a better hunting and camping knife.

How about a picture of the model 5.
Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Nice Randall and the patch is from the special hostage rescue team of the federal police their members train worlwide including with the german gsg9 and fbi hrt .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote