New
Find
Notify
Tools

dishwashers and knives
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why do my knives get so dull whin I put them in the dishwasher? They can be razor sharp going in but when they come out they are like butterknives . Thanks in advance...... lost

Posts: 25 | Location: nc | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Could be from banging against all the other things in there.

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I put them in I make sure that they can't touch anything else,one knife by it's self in the silverware holder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, first of all, I can't imagine why you would put a good "razor sharp" knife in a dishwasher. All it takes is a quick wipe down with a soapy kitchen sponge and a rinse. That takes about the same amount of time as separating them in the dishwasher. Even my wife, who is less than sharp Wink when it comes to knife care, doesn't put them in the dishwasher.

But to answer your question, I am guessing it might be the soap you are using reacting with the thin metal on the edge. "Razor sharp" edges are extremely thin and any erosion of that edge will, of course, dull the knife.

Many manufacturers of good kitchen knives, Forschner/Victorinox for one, strongly recommend AGAINST putting their knives in a dishwasher. I would think they know what they are talking about although I have serious doubts as to whether a dishwasher's temps can affect the blade temper.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Corrosion. The heat combined with the harsh soap and the water actually makes for a pretty corrosive environment.

I never wash any of my knives in a dishwasher, even if they're stainless steel.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. I'm not knife savy, Now I know how to clean my knives, thanks again. lost

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is an abrasive in soaps for a dishwasher.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not meaning to insult. (2) things come to mind. I bet you use a steel to get that razor sharp edge and the vibratory & caustic nature of dishwashers.
No good knives or cast iron ever enters my dishwasher. My GFs have been instructed also.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dish washer doesn't dull the knifes but she has to be real careful not to get cut. Roll Eyes

Posts: 19339 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! No one should put a knife in the dishwasher. Period!

If it's dishwasher material, it's not a knife.

Wipe, clean, oil, sharpen, and nurture anything you own that deserves the title of "knife".

Put your wife's crap in the dishwasher.

Posts: 9970 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend who is no longer with us, an amateur knifemaker, told me that the heat over time would reduce the carbon in the steel. I was skeptical. I posed the question to another friend who is a metallurgist. He was out of town, but emailed that 1) DW heat was not adequate to cause carbon content to diminish, and 2) He would give it some thought and let me know.

Stay tuned.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is some more;
-The detergent in DW soap is mostly tri sodium phosphate, a basic cleaner like Simple Green or 409. I'm not sure if that will induce corrosion.
-DW detergent contains tiny plastic particles to scrub crud. I have no ide if they are capable of wearing steel.

I use paper wheels to hone and polish my hunting and kitchen blades and certainly do not put them in the DW. That's where some of the wife's blades go, not mine. She has a few really good blades, including one of those layered jobs, that she let's me clean and maintain.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DW's and knives, again.

A few years ago my best huntin' buddy's wife gave him a nice little Damascus fixed blade for Christmas. At hunting camp the low man on totem pole put it in the DW. I did my best to polish it and clean it up, with a little success.

And, Yes. We have a DW (electric) in hunting camp. The cabin is two stories, square cut logs, built about 1890. Sits right in the middle of 13,000 acres in Montana. I have shot deer out of the kitchen window.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This forum metallurgist says.
Conifer , what abrasive particles are there in DW stuff ?
No the temperature will not cause loss of carbon !!!
Paper wheels ?? A good way to overheat the cutting edge and soften it .That's a proven fact ! We've been discussing that on www.hypefreeblades.com 2020

Why do you go to the middle of the wilderness to "get away from it all " and bring the evils of society with you ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why do you go to the middle of the wilderness to "get away from it all " and bring the evils of society with you ??

I dunno about you, but if I've got electricity, a dishwasher is not evil, like many modern conveniences it is a time saver, not to mention allowing someone to avoid the chore of washing dishes. If you prefer to rough it and call that good, more power to you. I like a smoother path, similar to not using corn cobs for toilet paper.
Wink

PS: Very interesting site. I wasn't familiar with it. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, I'm Robert C on that forum
I'll make a concession on the corn cobs but that's because the GM corncobs are terrible !They cut the tractor tire life from 6-7 years down to 1-2 years because they're far more tough !
That site is for serious knifemakers ! Exposing myths and frauds is a big part of our job !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When it comes to knives, I fully admit to being just a notch or two above amateur. I use paper wheels because a pro said that was a good idea. When I use them I am very careful about the heat, and I don't use them for sharpening/grinding blades in rough condition. For example, when my woodworking chisels, which don't get so much use anymore, need real sharpening, they go to a pro who uses a jig to assure proper angle. Then I hone them.

I will do some research here for info on wheels, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More on DW's: With 6-7 guns in camp, hand washing dishes is a problem. Also, some of the guys aren't fully housebroke and think hygiene is for sissies. It's comforting to know that the dishes are truly clean.

Shittin' yer britches in the bush ain't no fun.