New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knives and utensils I use for skinning
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For a city boy, I get to do a fair amount of skinning. I go to my lease monthly at least. There I have the opportunity to hunt varmints which include ravens, bobcats, coons, fox, coyotes, badgers, ringtail cats, aramdillos javelina, and hogs. Hunt turkey in the spring and fall and dove in the fall. Not counting that, our deer season lasts about 2 months and one week I usually am able to hunt about 30 days during that period.
In Texas we can take 5 whitetail deer per tag and unlimited exotics such as audad and other type of sheep, axis, fallow and sika deer. I also hunt with nine other guys on one lease and four other on the second. Conseqently, as I said, I have the opportunity to do a fair amount of skinning. Here are some of the tools I use.

Startin at bottom left,
RMEF Buck Skinner. This knife has more depth than I normally like. I hesitated to use it, but once I did, wow.
Gerber take off the Wyoming knife. I like this because it doesn't have the second blade on the backside that I always nick myself with on a wyoming knife. Makes easy work of opening up hides in a jif.
Victoronix/Forschner boning knife. Great for opening up the hide on front legs. Works pretty good as a skinner. Flexible and sharp as hell.
Knifes of alaska "yukon belt knife" This is a take off of the old canadian belt knife. This one is in d-2 steel which is one of my favorite knife steels. The shape is perfect for skinning and caping. Until I started using the buck skinner, this was my favorite skinner for several years.
Cold steel outdoorsman. This is an excellent heavier knife for reaching down inside the chest cavity and cutting out the lungs and connecting tissue. It also works well at splitting brisket as you can get two hands on it.
Top is the knives of alaska bone saw. Works great for splitting brisket and cutting ribs off backbone, and splitting pelvis. However, if you are in a hurry, a battery operated sawzall works pretty darn good too.
And if you're absolutely in a hurry and are not "parsnickity", a 16" paulen chainsawn will cut a hog or an audad sheep in half in about 30 seconds.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote