New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Best" Knife for under $100
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yes, I know this is an incredibly broad question with many possible answers. But, if you were going to get a fixed blade knife, a knife for skinning, cutting, camp duties and whatever else, what would you get and why?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Check out Bark River knives

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have dozens of expensive custom knives - including some that cost hundreds of dollars - and in real use on big game the Victornox series of butcher knives are by far the best. And for around $20 a real bargain.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4190 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I have dozens of expensive custom knives - including some that cost hundreds of dollars - and in real use on big game the Victornox series of butcher knives are by far the best. And for around $20 a real bargain.

+1 +1 +1

You said a mouthful there. Keep a few of them around and you'll find yourself reaching for them first. I found this site on the net.....fibrox handled victorinox.......and their prices are very competitive. Get a few of the 6 inch stiff blades both straight and curved and maybe one butcher knife, ALL for less than $100 and you're in the game skinning and processing business.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Here's some under $100 fixed blade knives that I have carried. Each has their place in a particular "best suited for" catagories but each may not be suitable for all catagories.

From top to bottom - Kershaw Outcast, Cold Steel Bushman, Gerber, Warthog, Puma, Columbia River Polkowski/Caspar, and Kershaw. I can't recall offhand what model they are but all retail for under $100 with the exception of the Puma (but I did buy it for under $100 I think).

The top Kershaw Outcast is best for medium to heavy camp chores but is lousy for skinning game.

The Cold Steel Bushman is a great survival knife and can be used as a spear head. It can work to skin game but is not the best for it.

The Gerber can be used for most medium to light camping and skinning chores and would make good fighting knife.

The Warthog can be used for camping chores, skinning, and as a fighting knife. It might be a good all-around knife but I haven't grown a fondness for it.

The Puma is my African knife and it's never been used for anything except to make me look good in photos.

The Columbia River might be a good light camp and skinning knife but I don't like it because it cut me once when I was taking it out of it's plastic sheath. Sharp as hell though.

The bottom Kershaw has skinned more of my game than any other knife that I have but it is not a work knife or a fighting knife.

I have about 30 or more under $100 fixed blade knives which actually do more work than all of the above except for the Kershaw drop point.

When hunting, I usually take 2 fixed blade knives to facilitate the dressing out of the animal. I know that everyone has their own opinion as to what knife is suited for what particular purpose. The above is just an example of some of mine and what I find their qualities to be most useful to me.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the EKA knives. The hunting knives are fantastic, and really hold an edge.
The blades are Sandvik 12C27.
I just purchased the JoF7 and am really impressed with the blade design. It could be the perfect hunting knife.
This knife costs 795. SEK in Sweden. Or about 125. USD.
Look into some of the Knife web-sites. I'm sure you will find the price of this knife less than 100. USD.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Northwoods Knives (.com) and look up the "Buttonhole" pattern. I think it's around $80 and well worth it. Quality throughout.

I use this on deer from start to finish (completely skinned).

Great knives, made in America, limited runs. You can call them at 906-789-1420.

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat a box cutter/ razor knife, and keep a couple of straight blades along with a couple of roofing blades (looks like a little gut hook).

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i just bought a benchmade 670s, sure, it's a folder, but it IS 100 bucks.

and a kickAAAAAA knife

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38428 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoemaker,
Stop telling them the truth! Of course you have to have exotic steels with higher carbide contents (that cannot be easily sharpened) if you want a good knife!!!!

BTW, I know the truth I own some real expensive knives (and yes they get dull and yes they are bitch to sharpen)!

Andre has a point with Bark River, BUT they use convex edges which require a slightly different approach to sharpening. That said they use A2 (easy tool steel to sharpen relatively speaking or cheaper Sandvik grades of stainless). Oh yeah, I own a Bark River or two or three or etc. The Bark River is a good knife!

BTW, what are you wanting to use the knife for?

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of dozens of knives I've tried the best knife for "around" $100 is a Fjallkniven F-1. They are superbly made, have very good steel (laminated VG-10), various sheath options etc.. The size and blade geometry are just about perfect for dressing deer and Elk size game.
The F-1 comes with a convex edge but you can put a standard bevel on them if you wish. I've got some of both and usually use the standard bevel but I'm still experimenting.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1064

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1067

There you can see just a couple of the sheath options and that you can get the knife in black or plain blade. If there's any way at all to do so find a store that you can try a couple of the different knifes you are considering in hand. I've always thought the best test for a knife is the "Hand" test. If it doesn't feel good in hand you probably won't enjoy it as much in the field......................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Just got my benchmade 670s .. other than being 2 OZ too heavy, it is nearly perfect... dang clip is assbackwards (NO knife clip should point the blade rotation point UP.. this is counter intuitive) and removed...

for $100, it is the best knife there is
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jeff, the tip-down carry is exactly why I like the 670. With a right-side carry, it's an easy one-handed motion to remove the knife and flip the blade open with my thumb. The knife never has to be repositioned in my hand and my left hand never touches the knife.

What's the argument for a tip-up carry?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
I'll show you on sunday . in amounts to with a tip up carry, i can reach my PAW into my pocket, retract the knife, and my hand and knife are in the "correct" place to open...

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I gotcha, you're reaching deep and I'm just grabbing the top with my thumb and index fingers then letting the knife rotate as I draw.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I really like the Moore Maker knives from Matagorda. Nothing fancy, no fast opening flip blades, but good functional knives that carry an edge.

Mike

Posts: 21145 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
FOrrest,
yep.. exactly.. and i am CLUMSEY!
jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, here is the smartass answer. I would get any knife that I can make cause I can make it how I want it, in all aspects. And even using S30V I can complete it for under $100 in materials including the Bos heat treat.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best knife for under a 100 bucks.............My forged blade knives out of aircraft quality bearing steel.... 12 years ago... popcorn
They will do about 50 to 70 deer without sharpening if you aren't dulling them on bone....---cartillage, tendons and meat no problem.
one of my 4" blades did 2 big bull moose up in Canada including gutting, skinning, quartering and caping. Took 5 min after he got home to get it back to shaving hair.....
GOSHAWK CUSTOM KNIVES... dancing

faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more rifles

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Will this ever end....? Shaving hair? Let;s start a thread on shaving..... horse

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Puma Orginal Bowie, got it from Sportsman's guide for around 63 bucks. I use it for hog hunting, the blade might be a tad short for that work, but it has done the job so far. It sharpens easily, hold a reasonable edge, and makes a good butcher knife.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m with Jeffery, take a good look at the Barkriver knifes. They are a well built, reasonably priced blade with excellent steel. http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
Yes, I know this is an incredibly broad question with many possible answers. But, if you were going to get a fixed blade knife, a knife for skinning, cutting, camp duties and whatever else, what would you get and why?

I have lots of knives including Randalls and Corbett Sigman customs but for the money, my vote goes to the Cold Steel Master Hunter. Mine was purchased as a "second" for about $44.00 and has proven to take everything I have dished out. I also like the looks of the little Cold Steel "Pendleton Mini-Hunter". Thanks...Bill.

Posts: 188 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know this is a little late but I second the Cold Steel master Hunter vote. With their laminated San Mai III you get a very hard durable edge and the toughness that comes with a softer spine and sides...It is truly razor sharp.

Posts: 24 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 15 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I see no reason to ever spend over 100 dollars for a knife

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
KERSHAW. K.O. Blur
3.38 in. partially serrated,
blade, of S30V stainless
steel. Black handle of anodized
aluminum 4.5 in. closed.
Liner lock, snap assist folder,

Tops knife

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
I've had and used knives over a hunting career now spanning 50 years. These ranged in quality from custom made, through Puma, Buck, Kershaw, a few other known and lesser known brands all the way down the quality and value for money range right down to Okapi. Many who have hunted in Africa will know the Okapi as the standard tool in many skinning sheds.

If you look at the knife that I actually use nowadays they are a look alike pair of a folding Opinel and a Savoie. Both are real "value for money" wooden handled folders, with an ingenious locking mechanism made in France. They last well, sharpen easily, and naturally become blunt quite easily too. Naturally there are better knives, and more costly knives. But for general hunting use nothig is better "Value for money". But that is just MHO.

As Jarrod said; no reason to spend a lot of money on a knife.

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an Cold Steel Master Hunter that is razor sharp. Others have told me how well it holds an edge and its over all quality.
I picked mine up on ebay for about $50. MSRP is over $200

Posts: 24 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 15 September 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Hey I just lost a knife yesterday. Fortunately I have a collection of relatively cheap ones that are relegated to every day use, but if you use them every once in a while they disappear. Anyway, there are a lot of good knives under $100 just as there are a lot of good rifles under $1000, but price is only one factor to consider when determining what job needs to be done.

Like Andrew above, I also have an Opinel that I use routinely (primarily when bread baking which we do a couple times a week, I use it to slash the dough right before it goes into the oven). Opinels aren't the best knife out there but are damn near the best bang for your buck, really good knives for under $10 or so.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7760 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Buck knife. Your choice of length,shape, what ever.

The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but the experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look a the Cold steel web site. many times they have seconds or sale items.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on a Buck.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
You just missed this one...at $99.95
Scrap Yard Nessy
One nice looking knife.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Muela makes excellent knives of all kinds at good prices, look on eBay.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote