New
Find
Notify
Tools

preserving collectible leather
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
From a collector's viewpoint, should one treat a factory new leather sheath with preservative if he wants to keep it indefinitely? Will doing so adversely affect the value of the sheath as "new" condition?

If not, would Lexol be a good choice?

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecard makes a preservative specifically for antique leather. I would choose it above lexol.
Ask yourself which is worth more. A perfectly preserved sheath or a dried up one no one treated properly.................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, but what you want to bet the first thing a buyer would say is I ruined the value by treating it. I'll try to find Pecard's stuff.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pappa, Maybe so but buyers are kinda like used car salesman valueing your trade-in. They are going to use every excuse they can to try and beat your price down. Unless there was some way to hermetically seal the leather and it came that way I personally would rather have it in perfect condition than untouched, but maybe other posters that are more serious collectors might also comment..............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, but I have no knowledge of collecting. I'm a user at heart; the first thing I did with a circa-1950's Marble's Ideal from an estate was to treat everything, no questions asked, because I intended to hunt it.

Thanks, friend.