The Accurate Reloading Forums
Bali-Song

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5021043/m/4771094041

14 September 2010, 09:40
J.D.Randell
Bali-Song
Benchmade started business in 1988 w/ the "Bali-Song" -- which is why their "butterfly" logo.

I just checked their web site: benchmade.com and it seems they're no longer producing the Bali-Song Mod. 42. -- listed retail at $280. They offer a similar model w/ G-10 scales, titanium frame for $265.

I have an early Benchmade Bali-Song, black alloy, machined handles, stainless blade. I don't see it discussed online. I expect it's an early Benchmade import. I picked it up at a gun show for $25.

Bali-Song is like owning a yo-yo, and way more fun than "contact juggling" with a "Fushigi" . . .

Anyone here do the Bali-Song tricks?
14 September 2010, 10:00
The Metalsmith
Yuppers. I have a 51-91, a Morpho and one older one, my work knife, forget the model...may be the 42 but it's the titanium handle, 154cm blade "weehawk" profile Bali-song. I own a couple from Bear Mfg and it's a night and day difference, obviously. The bears are slow and sluggish, but robust enough to use on a daily basis. They have rough edges and a more square profile. The benchmades are quite comfortable to handle and carry, and are easier to do the tricks with. I don't like the morpho as much as the others, as I do like a longer blade.

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski
14 September 2010, 10:22
J.D.Randell
Yeah, the 42 has a weehawk blade. I'd never use one for a "knife" . . . I use them for "tricks."

Benchmade is right up the street, along w/ Gerber, Kershaw, Columbia River Knife & Tool.

But Benchmade says they're not making the 42 any more. If you want one, search retail sellers who have one in back stock.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/42

Practical Weehawk Blade Shape
Skeletonized Titanium Handles
Spring Latch for Easy Open
Unparalleled Benchmade Fit and Finish
Country of origin: USA

Blade Length: 4.20"
Blade Thickness: 0.125"
Blade Material: 154CM Stainless Steel
Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
Blade Style: 42 Weehawk
Weight: 4.10oz.

Clip: Sheath Included
Lock Mechanism: Bali-Song
Overall Length: 9.40"
Closed Length: 5.20"
Sheath Material: Nylon
Class: Blue

See Also
> Model 32 - Morpho® Bali-Song®
> Model 51 - Bali-Song®
27 September 2010, 03:15
richj
These were sold many moons ago. 42,43,45,46.

The right one had the etched logo and blind pins.

30 September 2010, 00:02
Dago Red
The 43 is awesome. I have a custom made tanto point butterfly/bali-song with aluminum handles and ebony scales. finish isn't as nice as I'd like, but at less than a third the cost of the benchmade I'm happy.

Interesting thing, I had an original Filippino bali-song my father brought from the Philippines in the 80's, it did not have the little "ears" at the bottom of the blade. it made for a much cleaner profile. especially closed.

Red