Find
Notify
Tools

History Channel: Forged in Fire!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted
Those of you that enjoy custom knives may find the subject show of great interest. It seems that every week they bring in four Blacksmiths that are more or less skilled in the art of forging custom knife blades out of steel. They keep throwing what they call little twists into the process making people use everything from Damascus steel (forged welded) to cutting parts off a car or a large ball bearing or railroad spike. After doing their own heat treat and installing a handle, they have a martial artist come in and test the blades against each other on various subjects like pig carcasses, bamboo trees, large fish, or even several large bags of sand.

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

At the end of all this, the last person presenting the best knife received a check for $10,000. Needless to say they are well motivated. I highly recommend this show if you can make time for it.

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Great show. In one season the finalists had to make a broadsword, I believe. One of them failed when it bent on the cutting test.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMCI*:
Those of you that enjoy custom knives may find the subject show of great interest. It seems that every week they bring in four Blacksmiths that are more or less skilled in the art of forging custom knife blades out of steel. They keep throwing what they call little twists into the process making people use everything from Damascus steel (forged welded) to cutting parts off a car or a large ball bearing or railroad spike. After doing their own heat treat and installing a handle, they have a martial artist come in and test the blades against each other on various subjects like pig cartridges, bamboo trees, large fish, or even several large bags of sand.

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire

At the end of all this, the last person presenting the best knife received a check for $10,000. Needless to say they are well motivated. I highly recommend this show if you can make time for it.

I try not to miss the weekly show. I remember one episode where a gent who looks like a Filipino won the challenge using only hand tools and a crude forge in his backyard.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
With the DVR I always have time for Forged in Fire. Great show I really enjoy. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote