New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finished a couple...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
9" CPM154 blade, 15" OAL, spine taper from .093 in the handle to .040 through the ricasso and about 1" towards the tip. satin finish perp to the edge to 220 grit (this guy plans on beatin the hell outa this fillet no need to get fancy). Red linen scales to 220 grit to keep some wet grip. 5/16 S/S corbys.

3.5" CPM154 blade, 7" OAL walnut burl guard, .020 brass spacer to ipe scales, all hidden pins except one. this one was finished to 1500 and tumbled in non abrasive ceramic media and simple green for 24 hours. Perfectly smooth finish, with a uniform cloudiness throughout. Handle was finished to 1500 with about 6 coats of poly and sanding, then buff with a clean flannel wheel on the buffer. Part of an ongoing 3 piece big game cleaning kit. A 4" skinner and 6.5" slicer are in the works.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
what do you charge for knives???

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the size, finish, and handle material anywhere from $100 to $250. I have paid $50+ for a single piece of wood for one set of scales. I pretty much stick to hunters, skinners, and paring/caping knives. I actually dislike making fillets cause it is a lot more difficult for me to get the grind even on the spine. The fillet in the other thread is hand rubbed to 2000 grit. I poked my trigger finger about 3 times @ 2000. I also do my own wood stabilization with a vacuum chamber, MEK and Acryloid B-72.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
i think you could have a cottage industry taking the rubber grip of the cold steel knives and putting propper micarta handles on them.

people could send you their trailmaster knives to be done up propper by you.

i want to use the butt of the knife as a pummel not a bouncing ball.

a coffin handel in micarta...(drool)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Great design, looks very clean.

thumb

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CPM154 is a wonderfull steel for knives anyone would be happy with it !!

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
i think you could have a cottage industry taking the rubber grip of the cold steel knives and putting propper micarta handles on them.

people could send you their trailmaster knives to be done up propper by you.

Let us know if you will make handles for Cold Steel knives. I think Boom Stick's idea is good.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would all depend on what the tang looks like underneath that molded rubber. I had never even considered "kitbashing" a production knife. Interesting. Would be fairly easy if they had some full tang models. I have never really looked at Cold Steel stuff.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The tang goes down to the grommet but the handle would be all micarta showing the way i envision it with slots machined out in the micarta for the tang and epoxy filled and pins put in in a nice coffin handel or just a copy of the original rubber one for those ho like that shape

If you want to practice on one I could send you mine... I do not use it

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
It would all depend on what the tang looks like underneath that molded rubber. I had never even considered "kitbashing" a production knife. Interesting. Would be fairly easy if they had some full tang models. I have never really looked at Cold Steel stuff.

the knives are good its the time to make good handles and do a propper fit and finish it lacks unless you spend $400. It could be popular and a good seller with all the cold steel knives out there for you. let me know and i will send you mine and i can take it back with the rubber remove and i can do the handel if you wish.