New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendation
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a good friend that is getting married in September, and I would like to give him a knife as a wedding present. I have been using a few knives that I got from a custom maker who since passed away, so I haven't been to much in the knife world. I know what I like but different people have different opinions.

As a present I was thinking about getting him a good fixed blade (probably a droppoint) knife. He is mostly a bird hunter with some big game thrown in every now and then, so I am looking for a good (FIXED BLADE) knife for gutting, skinning birds, and maybe a little big game stuff. I would be willing to spend UP TO around $200 on something like this, but not any more as I got to get her a present to (not a knife). I and he are both not into antler handles. I am looking for a good looking knife that functions also.

I was thinking I could maybe get into something custom/semi custom for around this amount. Any makers that you guys like and would suggest. Any suggestions overall? Any Advice would be appreciated. Either via reply or PM.

Thanks,

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
You might check out Bark River knives and see if there is something there. I have just ordered their Huntsman model. In addition to a number of styles, each can be had with many different synthetic or wooden scales. Additionally, there are a number on Internet vendors from which the knives can be ordered.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
Hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a good friend that is getting married in September, and I would like to give him a knife as a wedding present. I have been using a few knives that I got from a custom maker who since passed away, so I haven't been to much in the knife world. I know what I like but different people have different opinions.

As a present I was thinking about getting him a good fixed blade (probably a droppoint) knife. He is mostly a bird hunter with some big game thrown in every now and then, so I am looking for a good (FIXED BLADE) knife for gutting, skinning birds, and maybe a little big game stuff. I would be willing to spend UP TO around $200 on something like this, but not any more as I got to get her a present to (not a knife). I and he are both not into antler handles. I am looking for a good looking knife that functions also.

I was thinking I could maybe get into something custom/semi custom for around this amount. Any makers that you guys like and would suggest. Any suggestions overall? Any Advice would be appreciated. Either via reply or PM.

Thanks,

Well, first of all, there are few custom makers of any reknown at all who would be able to get you a knife out before Sept. Some that might have ones in on hand that would fit your requirements would be Jason or David Winston (son and father), both of whom make excellent knives. David

Jason

Besides them, that leaves aftermarket sources of which there are many. To get a overview, you might check out www.arizonacustomknives.com

To each his own, but I am not fond of Bark River knives after I bought one and found it's performance on deer skinning to be miserable. I threw it in a box somewhere and doubt it will surface again. Dozier makes a widely respected semi-custom knife, most often out of D2, but they are usually going to cost a bit over your $200 limit and his backlog is much longer than your time frame.

I'm certainly not trying to sell you anything but I've got boxes of unused Winstons (both) and other well known maker's hunters that I would sell you probably cheaper than you can buy from the maker if you get jammed up since it's for a good cause.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm certainly not trying to sell you anything but I've got boxes of unused Winstons (both) and other well known maker's hunters that I would sell you probably cheaper than you can buy from the maker if you get jammed up since it's for a good cause.

That's very generous of you Gato. tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
As Gato says, price and timing are tough for a new custom build. In addition to what he mentioned, you can sometimes find a newer or less-established maker selling something in your price range on the Knifemaker's For Sale board at Bladeforums.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to A G Russell.com. They carry some nice semi custom knives. I am partial to Dozier, but they have others that they keep in stock that are quality made.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, Bark River. It's a quality knife that is 100% USA made.
Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote