Find
Notify
Tools

Easiest way to thicken knife handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I bought a cold steel trailmaster a few years ago with the intention of using it as a heavy duty camp knife.I haven't used it at all because the handle is not thick enough for my taste.I have fairly large hands.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might thicken it,without the obvious of having a different handle installed?I thought perhaps that wrapping it with parachute cord might work okay but I'm not sure how good of a job I'd do.Any suggestions?

Thanks.raym

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Master Hunter is a much better shape I think. The best option is parachute cord.Some of the knife forums have photos and tutorials about using the cord.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Instead of parachute cord you might want to try a wide, flat shoelace. Look at how the traditional wrap is done on a japanese sword handle and try to duplicate that, it might look pretty cool.

Personally, I'd figure out how to wrap it so it looks good, then remove the cord and spray the handle down with 3M spray contact cement and re-wrap, then leave for a couple days. Otherwise it will stretch and slip when it gets damp. Might want to use a fine paintbrush and give the wrap a light coat of varnish too.

Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
PM JefferyDenmark as he has done some wraps on some of his knives and he has the Trailmaster, although I do not recall his being unhappy with the factory handle on it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I also remember seeing this stuff made for bow grips, that you could put on and squeeze to fit to your hand. I don't know how well it would hold up to a knife handle though.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Cornstarch? animal

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote