Find
Notify
Tools

Good hog knife??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'm looking at getting a nice Bowie knife for stickin' pigs. I'm pretty picky when it comes to the way a knife looks. I would like to stay under $75, and I would prefer either an antler handle or a nice looking wood handle. I hate all the new "retro" looking crap. I want something classical. I would like at least an 8" blade as well. Any suggestions??

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eland Slayer:
I'm looking at getting a nice Bowie knife for stickin' pigs. I'm pretty picky when it comes to the way a knife looks. I would like to stay under $75, and I would prefer either an antler handle or a nice looking wood handle. I hate all the new "retro" looking crap. I want something classical. I would like at least an 8" blade as well. Any suggestions??

You might try the Puma Orginal Bowie it's 65 dollars or so from Sportsmans Guide. I have one and am very fond of it. Only thing is it has a 6.5" blade, a little shorter than what you want. I find it works okay if you stick a bit high and cut downward before withdrawing the blade from the hog, not a bad technique with any blade actually.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel Trail Master? Don't think you can get the Carbon V for that price and the new San Mai is way more, but there are other models available.

Personally I would probably budget a little more for the piece of steel that goes in between me and a PO's piggie.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You want to be sure it is long enough to reach the heart, typically from just behind the front leg/armpit, but not so long it will pass through.

I'm pretty sure the subject has been covered here before and I have to admit I am passing on second-hand information as the one time I hunted hogs with dogs we did not kill any, but did rope one.

I'll see if I can scare up the earlier topics. JefferyDenmark and Juan Pozzi are two guys to ask, plus there are many hog hunters in the US, primarily in the South and Texas.

Edit:

Thread.

Another thread.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Cold Steel Boar hunter for $55.00 how could you do much better.
Cold Steel Boar Hunter

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by foxfire:
Cold Steel Boar hunter for $55.00 how could you do much better.
Cold Steel Boar Hunter

foxfire,

Thanks for the suggestion.....however, in my opinion, that knife takes the word "ugly" to a whole new level. It is absolutely hideous. haha. I would consider that to be "retro" and that's not what I want. But thanks.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Muela Bowie pictured here (all the way on the left):

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Be sure to read Juan Pozzi's response about typical Bowie's on your other thread.

I have no idea why you think use of modern materials is retro when it is the opposite.

Personally I like a nice wooden handle on a knife but a non-slip grip on something that is supposed to get very slick with blood is not a bad thing.

All this assumes you are actually planning to use the knife to stick hogs.

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Eland Slayer,
I understand exactly what you mean except:
I own a lot of knives from very cheap to very expensive. As I'm going out the door I look for a knife up to the task at hand. As much as I want to take my George Mueller or Arno Bernard which were both up to the task, I reached for an old standby that could tolerate the rain, mud, blood and snow. I think it might be ugly but it does the job, as good and with less greif than any of the really expensive knives that might have needed extra time caressing, cleaning, drying, and maybe even a coat of wax.
Dam I love a good knife all of them.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I have no idea why you think use of modern materials is retro when it is the opposite.

I never said the use of modern materials is retro.....the way it looks is retro. I think it's ugly and too "space agey" looking. I'm sure it would do the job perfectly, but I still don't like it.

If you read my very first post, I said I want something CLASSICAL.....and I think the Muela Bowie is both classical and practical. It has substantial hand guards and a large butt, as well as finger grooves in the handle. I think this knife would perform very well.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Now that I think about it....."retro" was the wrong word to use. I should have just used "space agey" from the beginning. I want an "old-style" knife, not a new style knife.

I just looked up "retro" and I didn't realize it meant using styles from the past in things today. haha. Sorry, that was ignorance on my part.
Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grenadier, it is mostly how the knife is employed. Many hunters slit the hogs throat, it doesn't take a long knife to do this and the one you show would be great for that.

It would be less than ideal for thrusting or stabbing the pig in the chest in my opnion, as a longer blade is preferred.

Most experts, say 7" minimum, I have had okay results with 6.5" blade for stabbing, but I have never taken a really large hog with that particular blade.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be sure to read Juan Pozzi's response about typical Bowie's on your other thread.

Juan is the expert, and I pay attention to anything he has to say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
I dug out another knife I have that I almost forgot about. It's never been used and I just kept it in the box because it has a bunch of stuff written on one side of the blade and it's signed by the knife maker on the other side. But it's no good to me sitting in a closet. This is not a picture of my other knife but it is a picture of the same kind of knife I have:

I would rather put my "safe queen" to use than purchase a new knife. The blade is 7" long so I think it meets the minimum standard talked about here. I guess I will have to make this my hog knife. Now to find a pig hunt or, preferably, a monteria.

~

Looks like a pig sticker to me!!! What is a monteria??

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Monteria is a driven hunt where rifles or maybe shotguns are used, so the knife is not critical there. A knife like we are talking about is generally critical when you use catch dogs to hold the boar and step in and dispatch it with a blade.

Or so I understand it.

Here is a Monteria report from another board.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the info. here is one of my little piggy knives.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
quote:

~

Grenadier, nice Randall patriot

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
quote:

Personally I like a nice wooden handle on a knife but a non-slip grip on something that is supposed to get very slick with blood is not a bad thing.

I have fillet knife with a pretty wood handle but it does get slick so I wrap hockey tape around it while working on fish, then when I'm done, I just remove the tape & its pretty again

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Matherne:
Thanks guys for the info. here is one of my little piggy knives.

Wow. How long is that blade?

~

It's right at 9" long, say is your knife really a Randall??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
quote:

I have fillet knife with a pretty wood handle but it does get slick so I wrap hockey tape around it while working on fish, then when I'm done, I just remove the tape & its pretty again

I've not seen hockey tape, how does it work?

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've not seen hockey tape, how does it work?

Larry, you guys down south probably use something very similar on baseball/softball bats, it is a simple cloth tape comes in variety of colors, I put in a couple twists to give me a better grip

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I know the stuff, great idea!

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
How about this one???? space

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it would do fine although I'd prefer a straighter blade. What part of Alaska do you hang your hat? I've spent some time there myself, loved it, course I never spent a winter there.

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
MAT-SU Valley, it was 20 below this morning

Jim

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Jaegers ,my favourite knives must have kraton or similar handle minimun 6 inches blade,and double edged or drop point ,of course some bowies are wonderfull but i broke some points so i prefer strongest points,the cris reeve design for special forces is very good ,but i always prefer rubber or kranton when you have your hands with blood and mud ,its very important a cross guard that dont injure your fingers if you hit bone with all your force .I use in most of the cases tactical knives to protect my hands ,when i was younger i never use gloves ,but im getting older and a bit scary,im a surgeon so my hands are very important to me.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nzsr
posted Hide Post
These Swedish Mauser Bayonets were very highly regarded as pig stickers back home.They were pretty cheap and seemed to do the job well.

Posts: 27 | Location: Kiwi by birth,Norway for work | Registered: 21 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

Who made your kukri style knife?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased it from an outfit in Canada, I forget the name, but they sell on ebay. The knife is made by Numade and it is manufactured in China, though it is not marked such. The steel is 440C as I remember and it is well made. The sheath that comes with it is pure junk and I had to get a replacement made.

It is a very heavy knife and chops well, I sometimes use it in setting up stands, to clear brush and small trees.

It of course does well with the hogs but as stated before a bit too heavy to be ideal for that work.

Regards,
Larry

p.s. if you want me to, I can dig up more info on the importer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

I did a quick look on ebay and didn't find one that I thought was the same knife. Probably they are no longer making that model, but if you can find it for me with minimal trouble I'd appreciate it. Thanks CAT

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CAT, I've looked on ebay and I don't see the knife anymore either. I will try to do some more checking, and get back to you soon.

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
In case yall haven't seen it yet. I did buy a knife:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5021043/m/7581071001

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, bud I saw, nice knife, a mulea Chevraoille, I know the spelling is off, but close to the proncuciation around here. Nice knife indeed. My favorite is the Mulea Ursus.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought an assegai would be both effective and appropriate. But, I've never hunted hogs that way.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote