THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM KNIVES AND KNIFE MAKING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Knives and Knife Making    Can anyone cut out some knife blades for me.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone cut out some knife blades for me.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for someone to cut out a couple of knifeblads and hollow grind them for me. I want to do my own handle work. I have looked at kits from some of the various sellers but they don't offer the kits in the kind of steel that I want.

PM if you can help me out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
helle avail. @ ragweed.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of steel do you want ?? I have a Helle from a blade I added a handle to .Don't quite know the steel .Fallkniven has laminated blades too but are VG-10 cores which are excellent [I have an S-1]

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
22WRF,

Finding a custom knifemaker to profile a blade and finish it short of making a handle will be tough IMO! Good Luck in your search!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aktoklat:
22WRF,

Finding a custom knifemaker to profile a blade and finish it short of making a handle will be tough IMO! Good Luck in your search!

I don't see it as much different than having a gunsmith installing a barrel on an action so that I can make my own stock!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
22WRF
I have to agree with aktoklat in that it will be hard to find someone to do this. I also agree with you as I think it would be easy money for the knifemaker since he wouldn't have to do detail work.
I tried to have this done several years ago and the main reason seemed to be, they didn't want their name on a blade that someone put a really poorly finsished handle on. It would make it look like they did a poor job...on the other hand when I asked one to leave his name off, he said that then someone could stamp their name on the blade and take credit for it. I guess you can't win for losing.....
Randall knives used to offer "kits" that let you put the handle on the blade. They supplied everything, handle material, guard, spaceres etc...they also quit for the same reason, people were doing a real poor job and then trying to sell them as factory Randalls. It would be nice for some knifemaker to make blades and mark them somehow to show that they just made the blade.
If you ever find someone willing to do it, please let me know. Hope this helps.

Posts: 1635 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
What kind of style are you interested in? Folders? Fixed blades?

Have you looked at Texas knife and Jantz supply? I have done a dozen or so of their blanks with decent results, but if you are looking for high end steels they are limited.

I am currently intrigued by this guy, who appears to be making several of the Engnath style blades:

blanks

He is using pretty dang good steel though, but I haven't contacted him for lead times. If he's good, expect a wait.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CDH

thank you for that link. I had a nice talk with the gentleman and actually ordered one of his blades made out of ATS 34 steel. I look forward to receiving it with great anticipation.
If it looks good I might even order a couple more.

Thanks again.

22WRF

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Let me know what you think about it. I have found the tedium of grinding and profiling with my cheap equipment to be a great hindrance to my knifemaking...if this guy delivers a good product I may try several of his blades.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gene Martin's a good guy!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CDH:
Let me know what you think about it. I have found the tedium of grinding and profiling with my cheap equipment to be a great hindrance to my knifemaking...if this guy delivers a good product I may try several of his blades.

Well, I received the knife blank this morning. I ordered the Drop Point Hunter. I have other drop point hunters and my first impression of this one is that while it is extremely well ground, it feels just a bit big. Probably because it does not have the tapered tang. It has been hardened and will of course require some finish work, and the handles, but I think I am going to be able to make this into a very very nice knife. If I was going to order another one from him I would ask him if I could pay a few extra bucks to have him taper the tang. Other than that, the blank is so well made that I can say without hesitation that I will be ordering some more blanks from him in the future.