Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion -- Andre/JefferyDenmark
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
What do you think about this knife as a camp knife/utility knife? Or this one (not the fancy sheath, just the knife)?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Charles

Are you going to use those knives? Or just for your collection?
I like the Last Chance the best, handle loks a little like a Jerry Hossum.
The shape of the blade is work and fighting style and not hunting - you know this Ja?

The Trailhead is to wird for me - sorry wave Also it has no guard and working around a camp with it would be - well not as safe as with a knife with a half ot full guard.

The steel on both knives are medium class and so is the price on the "last chance"
I think that the last chance would be a bad choice as a camp knife. You need a knife where you can cut with the section wherethe last chance is serrated. You also don't need a knife with a top edge or false edge. thick spine is good if you need to split wood batton style.
The handle is furthermore of a design where you can't hold the knife in different positions when the work with the knife demands it.
The knife is sold as a "The "Last Chance" is a proven tactical, combat, fighting, defense, and rescue tool" and I think that it is just that.
Sorry - I think that you would get a knife that would not live up to your demands.

E-mail me andreflor@tdcadsl.dk and I will help you find the right knife. I have tons of pictures and lionks to seller or friends that would be more then happy to sell you a nice looking knife that would work for you.
I would look for a flat ground knife with a half guard and a 6-7 inch blade + a small folder if you do not have one.

This maker is good thumb, I looked at his site, and I am sure that you can have him make you a knife that would be perfect for camp work. Just tell him what you want and need.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
The Last Chance might make a usable utility knife without the self-wounding point on the pommel end. I don't think it would be a good hunting knife. Basically to me it's a wall hanger and I could make a better and more useful one with less than a day's effort. The other one, the Trailhead, is not only one of the ugliest I've seen in quite awhile, but looks to be as useless as tits on a bull to boot. Steel is marginal, blade's too thin, and the shape makes most chores you would want a heavy knife for more difficult. I know you asked about just the blades, but neither sheath has any retention cabability, guaranteeing a lost knife in rough country, and both are embarrassingly ugly too. Maybe the lack of retention is a good thing, though, then you could get yourself a decent knife.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JefferyDenmark:
Charles

Are you going to use those knives? Or just for your collection?
I like the Last Chance the best, handle loks a little like a Jerry Hossum.
The shape of the blade is work and fighting style and not hunting - you know this Ja?

The Trailhead is to wird for me - sorry wave Also it has no guard and working around a camp with it would be - well not as safe as with a knife with a half ot full guard.

The steel on both knives are medium class and so is the price on the "last chance"
I think that the last chance would be a bad choice as a camp knife. You need a knife where you can cut with the section wherethe last chance is serrated. You also don't need a knife with a top edge or false edge. thick spine is good if you need to split wood batton style.
The handle is furthermore of a design where you can't hold the knife in different positions when the work with the knife demands it.
The knife is sold as a "The "Last Chance" is a proven tactical, combat, fighting, defense, and rescue tool" and I think that it is just that.
Sorry - I think that you would get a knife that would not live up to your demands.

E-mail me andreflor@tdcadsl.dk and I will help you find the right knife. I have tons of pictures and lionks to seller or friends that would be more then happy to sell you a nice looking knife that would work for you.
I would look for a flat ground knife with a half guard and a 6-7 inch blade + a small folder if you do not have one.

This maker is good thumb, I looked at his site, and I am sure that you can have him make you a knife that would be perfect for camp work. Just tell him what you want and need.

Cheers,

André

Thanks for the feedback -- I have a small skinner he made that is nice and I know he made a nice knife for M1Tanker, as well as a nice one for my wife. I do not buy any knives except to use, but some of them end up unused which was why I asked your opinion.

Thanks again.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote