Find
Notify
Tools

Wood scale repairing
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
I got a really nice knife yesterday in a 'defect' sale. It's only problem is a crack where it looks like the handle scale was not quite full dry before attaching. There is a hairline crack through one pin, and a slightly larger crack about 2/3 of the way down the handle towards the other pin. It is all currently tight, nothing has broken loose yet, but the cracks do appear to go fully through to the tang.

Here it is, the Beretta Loveless knife.

Anyway, I am thinking that I should try to seal the crack before using it and getting dirt, blood, etc. down into the crack. My thoughts are some good runny epoxy and super glue. Any better ideas out there??? My goal is first to stabilize and strengthen the handle to make it reliable in the field, and second to make the repair as invisible as possible.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you know the type of wood used for the handle, you can use a sander and collect a quantity of the dust, mix it with epoxy and fill the cracks. It will have a semi gloss to the crack area, but if you clean the crack out well, it should hold together well without having to replace the entire scale.

I do this on quite a few handles where there is a particularly good piece of mesquite I want to use but has a small crack. I have yet to have any of those fail, even though some I did over 10 years ago.

If done well, it is difficult to see exactly where the crack was, especially if you put some type of gloss finish to the handle.

Good Luck

HL

Posts: 265 | Location: Bulverde, Texas | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Beretta and let them handle it (no pun intended). I personally would let them know it is new and received in the present condition. Personally, telling them you purchased it in that condition and price was reduced to sell as is, is TMI (Too Much Information). I would be surprised if they did not send you a new one or have yours fix without and charges.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd send it back. If you choose not to do that, one way to fill cracks or small imperfections in the surface is to use multiple applications of super glue of the material is structurally sound. Takes patience ... seal, sand, seal sand, seal sand, etc.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote